Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Cell Phones in the classroom

I,m constantly torn on how to deal with cell phone use in the classroom. should I take it away? Should I let them interrupt their learning? They're adults, they can make their own decisions right? But then I constantly get frustrated when they are busy texting while im teaching. I figure they have control of their education, why should I force them to learn if they don't want to. after all, they are adults and can make their own decisions.

I am also torn on this subject...they will do everything to attempt to hide it during class because it is clearly written on our syllabus that cell phones are not permitted. Should these be taken away?

I give students the leeway of having their phones available IF they let me know they have family issues going on that day. Otherwise, they may check their phones at break. I do not allow bookbags or phones near the student during testing. If I see a phone being used during class, I reduced their participation grade by 50%. I do not call them out on it because it usually fixes itself, though once or twice I have had to do so.

I do not fuss or make a big deal about my students having cell phones out in my classroom. I simply continue my lecture and quietly without making a scene go over to them I will grab/take their cell phone slip it in my pocket and continue teaching. I do not make a big deal out of it and my students do not get upset with me at all

We live in a connected world however I feel that limits need to be set. Having a phone visible is one thing but having it in one's hand to is tempting to use and can be distracting. I explain to my students that I understand the importance of staying connected since I have family and they are a priority. So realizing there may be something one needs to stay on top of just requires the phone be visible but not in one's hand. I also realize the value of the phone as a resource in class and will utilize the resource as part of our work to create a teamwork environment in my class which makes the phone friend and not foe. I find students are more cooperative overall and the phones do not become an issue. I have the rule that if an important comes in that must be taken, that the student leave the classroom and I prefer to know in advance if this is likely to occur.

I don't take them away except in an exam situation; we ask them to place their phones at the front of the room & pick them up when they complete their exam.
Of course, if they use them during class, I approach them about it.

I agree that cell phones are a problem in the classroom, however, seeting the ground rules and enforcingthem in the lecture does show the class that rules are in place for a reason. The students must realize that cell phpone use takes them away from learning, which could hold them back from progress and learning.

I agree with Lee-Ellen on this subject. Setting the expectation up front that cell phones are not permitted -unless there is an emergency + they let me know about it. I try to use the "normative" approach here as I have my cell phone on me - I show it to them, I indicate it's on vibrate + that if I get an important call - I will step out of the room (where I can still see them through the window of the door) and take the call. I expect them to do the same.

Reality steps in @ times and cannot be denied. If the use of the cell phone is repetitive and consistent - and not an emergency - I use the professionalism grade to penalize them. This expectation is outlined @ the beginning of class.

Totally agree with Marianne and Lee-Ellen.  We must recognize that technology is here to stay however I believe setting the parameters and most important being the model for our students is most important.  How many instructors have you seen on their cell phones or worse yet....with a blue tooth flashing and talking during class time???  I've seen it and I'm always stunned. 

We have a policy that students are not allow to use their cell phones during class. We tell them to give the main number for ermergencies (obviously this would not work for larger programs). There is a clear diciplinary chain in the syllabus. First time is a verbal warning, second time written, and so on.

@elizabeth617 : I require them to slip out to the hall if they have an emergency call or text. I also tell them if they keep slipping out they will have to go homoe  as this is to distracting to the others. I often catch them texting under the table, I call them on it right there and if it happens again they are dismissed for the remainder of the day. Usually only take one to hget caught. If the phone is out durni9ng the test they are given a zero and take to the education manager and  documented in their file and depending on the  facts in his or her file ( such as this is the third incident in the year he or she will be expelled for cheating) .

@elizabeth617 : We have a Zero Cell phone policy in the classroom. If you have an emergency take it out in the hall. If you are caught with your phone out in the classroom, you get a ZERO for class participation, and ZERO's for any work, or test that you are doing for that day. We have caught many students using their phones to cheat on tests in the past, so therefore they are not allowed to have their phones out during class. PERIOD.

@elizabeth617

I agree with you about letting them make their own decisions. However, their phone usage can be very distracting to me. A lot of my students have children so I have set the rule that they can have their phones available to them to easily receive calls or texts in regards to emergenciee ie:) picking ill kids up from school/daycare etc. All other instances of phone use should be done on their time.

We have a no cell phone policy at our campus and it makes the students aware of how important i is to pay attention and respect , the classmates and instructor.

We also have a no cell phone during class policy, and the students always want to challenge that. If they are expecting an important call, I'll let them handle their business, in the hall. Otherwise, it is a distraction, and the process begins...verbal warning, write up...

It does seem that cell phone use is one of the biggest issues in the classroom these days.  I know that I do make it a point to address cellphone use and ask students to put them away, turn them off, etc. - If students use them, I remind them - but it seem like I become known more for cell phone policy than other things - such as what I am teaching, etc.  It is frustrating and I have not found a way to deal with it.  I have never taken a phone away but when students ignore the rule and use their cell phones, I have asked them to leave.  It is probably one of the major causes of arguments between myself and students and as I said is very frustrating.  I would love to hear what others do.  We are dealing with adults, but it seems that so many people just don't know approproate use of this new technology in a social setting such as a a classroom.

The cell phone is one of the hardest things to deal with in the classroom! In todays culture, it is unrealastic to expect them to never look at them. I have added some exersises into my program that allows them to use them and teaches them to use them effectivly as a learning tool. Care must be taken though that all students are using them as learning tools and not texting and also, teaching when is the proper time to use them.

I allow the use only if it is a contribution to class subject, i then am careful to walk and pay attention to the students that are getting lost in cyberspace or text chats. If i note some one with this behaviour i ask a question , or propose a change of delivery, directed to the student in question. 

I think it is hard to control cell phone useage in class.  We have class policies that clearly state no cell phone use in class.  In having this statement on our class policies, it helps make it cut and dry, therefore there is not grey area on usage in the classroom.

@elizabeth617 - I don't take them away but I do emphasize on day 1 that they aren't allowed to use them during class time unless we are working on research which I asked them to use their phones.  I also state it in the syllabus.  It's all abput setting the tone on day 1.

Sign In to comment