Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Our school policy is that cell phones must not be used in class. While many have their opinions on this it can be a distraction in class. While this is difficult to control as many are addicted to their phones we handle this by giving the student a downgrade for the course they can not get more than 7 per course without failing the course. It is really a challenge to be consistent on this because of the diffrence of opinions on this topic. I would be interested to see how others handle this.

@jbradley I am not as strict with the cellphone rule because I do understand that work and family matters may arise for my students.  However, I do make it very clear on day #1 that if you miss any information while I am lecturing and I see that you have been on your phone I will not repeat myself or answer your questions. I do not like to embarass my students when they are overusing their phones but I do let them know that they are missing lecture because they are too focused on their personal life and not the class content.

I try to get them to realize that they are being disrespectful to themselves more than anyone else and that those who continually draw their attention from learning are also disrespecting them. The student has made a decision to make themselves better through education and when someone texts them about essentially nothing it is saying in broad terms that they don't care about the decision the student has made and feel that the mindless chatter they have is worth more than the students education. By setting this precedent of being on your phone is the perpetual undermining of your own decisions/education and is a simple matter of self respect, many of the students simply don't use it as often in my classes and if they do I remind them how important their choices are and how this education will almost always be worth more than that text or in some cases that relationship.

If this doesn't work I quickly move to downgrades to show them that I am serious about the situation and that they will not sit in my class and willfully break the rules without consequence. Consistency is the key to making it easy. If everyone knows phone = downgrade then it discourages most students from bringing it out. When phone = "I'm not really sure" there is less inherent deterent to bring it out in the first place.

@PhilHickman I dont agree with the use of phones in class. However, in this day and age, many people are addicted to and very dependent upon them.  I would love to have cell phones out of sight and out of mind for the duration of the class period. But, I know that this is almost an impossible request. Nevertheless, I do strictly enforce that there be no phone usage during exams. And, significant points are dedcuted from exams when/if I catch students with phones during exams.  So far, the threat to take points from an exam has been enough to keep them off the phone during exams.

I also struggle with cell phone use in the classroom. It wasn't allowed when I was in school many years ago but in todays society everyone is dependent upon them. I came up with a strategy that has worked well so far - I have the student make up any time missed from texting or talking on phone during class. They don't like to have to stay after class to  make up time so it has gotten alot better.@brhoads1@brhoads1

@kquillen

Cell phones seems to be an ongoing issue at our school and is frequently the topic of discussion amongst myself and my peers. Our school has a no cell phone policy in the classroom and especially not in clinical for the nursing students. Currently what I do, is go over the policy one the first day of class. If I see a student with a cell phone while I am lecturing or during a class activity, I quietly move to that student and direct them to put the phone away. If I have a repeat offender, I ask the student to come see me and discuss the issue privately. I am trying to avoid spending a lot of my lecture time discussing cell phone policy because of one or two students. For exams, I ask students to turn phones off and put them upside down on the desk so if I look down a row, I can see all phones. My rationale for this is so there is never a question about a student cheating. If I cannot see there phone and they are looking, intently, at their crotch during the exam, there is a problem.

I have a very stick class room policy ( set by the department head) that no cell phone are to be used in class.  It has not at this time caused any significant problems.  Yes I have had to tell a student to put it up but not in a shaming way I make it very matter of fact.  I have subtituted for a teacher that did not enforce this policy and the students seemed distacted and unconnected to the class or the class dicussion.  This class has been a continueing issue because rules that are policy are not enforced and they have no shown a significant respect for this teacher or the school.  Seeing this from both enforcing policies and policies that someone let slide the students are signifacantly different!!

I believe that ignoring the cell phones in the classroon during the lecture or any type of activity is wrong.

Address the issue in the first part of class everyday and do not let up to show consistancy.

I think a standard should be set at the beginning of a course. Maybe take off point per cell phone problem. The thing is most of the adult learners have families and need the cell phone for emegencies. It is a slippery slope when dealing with adults.

@elizabeth617 it is tough because they are adults and many have children so they need their phones. Of course it is usually the ones that don't have the kids that are on their phones. My policy is set in the beginning of a course about not having them be a distraction to me, themselves or others. If they need to use the phone or have an emergency, they can leave the room. That way they still have their phones in case they need them.

If students are using them in class, I wll walk over to them and quietly ask them to put it away-that is usually enough to stop the issue. If they continue, I will talk with them after class

@bonz15

This issue has been going on for years and is not going away. I dealt with it strictly at first with reprimands and write-ups, but the rules were not followed in every class on campus. I now inform students on the first day that cell phones are not permitted during class time but I don't want to expend all of my energy enforcing this every day. I had one student that was sleeping at his desk. I approached him and asked him to run around the campus for exercise. He came back after class and apologized. He said he was not sleeping...he was texting on his lap. Some students use their cell phone as a recording device. Others use it to take images from the powerpoints or from the white board. I did try using cell phones as part of a quiz to be answered on-line...and that provided immediate results of how students were answering questions. This is an on-going discussion of how we use this technology.

@elizabeth617
I have the same issue but like you said they are adults and it's thier education.  I find it effective to point out that no one likes their crotch that much so I know their are texting; they can at least have the decency of not trying to hide it like they are in high school.  I also find it effective to point out that they would have heard/seen the answer to their question a few slides back if they had not been texting.  If behavior like that keeps up, I point out to them that every time they ask a question where an answer has already been given, they are delaying class and their classmates might have a problem with that.  I don't mind questions that further the discussion but I don't like repeating myself. I tell the students this the first day of class.

I personally think that cell phones should not be allowed in the classroom.

Having cell phones in the classroom is a distraction to the student and the teacher, if the student cannot live without his/her cell phone for the length of the class period maybe what they need is to see someone for their addictive personality . I wish that it was legal to have blockers in the classroom that would stop them from getting a signal. I know someone said that it is their education, but at the same time the teacher does not need to compete with the cell phone in the classroom. Some of these students need to go back and review common courtesy and respect for other people.

This is just my two cents worth

Sign In to comment