Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ready to quit students

With this type of student, should I pull them aside and question what the problem is, or direct them to the school administration?

Hi Craig,
You as the instructor should always try first, and if you are unsuccessful in getting through to the student, then yes get administration involved.

Patricia Scales

As a dental hygiene instructor I describe the benefits of being a professional. DH education is challenging, but the rewards are worth it.

Hi Bette,
Sometimes you just have to give students the benefits repetitively to help them keep their eyes on the prize.

Patricia Scales

I take these folks as a personal challenge to myself....you can often see their challenges in their body language and in their eyes. I taught lots of years at a junior college with at-risk students, and I found telling them that they need to be like the little steam engine...I think I can, I think I can, and just take it one day at a time. Should LIFE happen (and it does to all of us sometimes), they can always drop a course (or their, take an incomplete) depending upon circumstances -- often health, transportation, or lack of back up child care support. I tell them it took me 7 years to finish my masters because I kept having to step in and out of it...to show them that it is never too late.

When I encounter a ready to quit student, I will ask the student why he or she come to this decision, and I will also let the student know the benefit of complete their education.

When I have encountered these students I have talked to them and helped them get over the hurdles and inspired them to see that things aren't as bad as they seem and they can organize to get out of the mess they have created to get back on track. I have had great success in getting them back on track.

Sign In to comment