Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

over talkative students

It is so often hard to control that one student who never stops talking...great advice!

I use this trick sometimes: Have the talker teach a section of the days' lecture. Meet with them after class and give them an outline of what I want them to cover the next day. That either quiets them down for the remainder of the course, or puts their exuberance to good use.

Over Talkative students could easily help with the others students by having them to assist you on certain matters. Overall these type of indiviudals usually do assist others classmates well as leaders. i usually get them in groups and they will keep the other in line or advise them well. They feel better about themselves and usually do pretty in my courses. So most oten speak with them in private. Found out the motivational factors assist with this. Outcome usually is great. I'm one of those talkative individuals and most of my instructors did come to my aide and assist me with great tools.One even help me with the career of teaching. Thank you Dr. Bishay.

Hi Talita,
I concur! Some of us are just talkers and are born to be leaders. Let these students use their potential without taking over the course. Give them various leadership roles to work off some of the energy they have.

Patricia Scales

Wes,

That's a great technique. In fact, you may find that really motivates the student to pursue and excel in an area that they were only slightly interested in before they attended your course.

Bill

I usually have mine be the lecture day observer & then we have a discussion on how engaged the class was and how we could improve.

Tracy

I find that often the talkative ones ask questions the more shy students want to ask but are too embarassed to do so. I let the talkative studens talk but I quickly regain control if they start to get off topic. I also will look around the classroom and ask if anyone has anything else to add or any other questions.

Hi Molly,
You certainly have to have full control over talkative students, otherwise they will take the class over.

Patricia Scales

I have a group of four that likes to talk and was planning on just stopping my lecture without saying why and waiting til they figure it out. That has seemed to work for other instructors. I will see how it goes today and if I have to use that strategy I will report on how it worked...

Hi Ticha,
Nip it in the bud, do not let these four students control the room. You take charge!

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment