Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

keepiing students engaged

I use humor in my lecture presentation to keep students engaged. When a topic gets a little heavy, a little humor can lighten the students mood. Walking around the class during lecture also helps. Changing the volume of your lecture can awaken a slumbering student or two. Standing or sitting behind a lecturn and speaking with a monotone will cause the most engaged student to fall asleep!

I agree, I also like to use humor in a lecture to keep students involved. A smiling student is more likely to succeed in the course.

I agree with your tactics, another method is to involve the students with class discussions or group activities with follow up discussion after they have discussed topic in class same on same day after reviewing topic. Overall, just interacting with students helps keep focus and enhances learning.

I agree also, using humor can break the monotony and it gets the class'refucussed on the topic.
Vangie

Hi Evangeline,
Sometimes humor, a nice little icebreak, a nice little chat, then back on point, will help students regain their focus.

Patricia Scales

I will share a work-related incident with the students and ask them to reciprocate with a story of their own. I have also found humor and animation to engage the students into discussions.

I keep students engaged by offering four activities, and asking students to select three out of the four activities to complete for homework. When you offer choices, students feel more positive about staying engaged.

Hi Mary,
Students like it when learning is made lively. A great combination is to have fun while learning.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment