Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Uprepared Students

My biggest challenge is that many of my students come to class unprepared - forgetting assignments, books, and in some cases even pens. What other ways are there to motivate or encourage them to make more of an effort in coming to class ready to learn?

I am known for giving tons of quizzes, both pop and scheduled. Last year one of our instructors went to a teaching conference and was introduced to guided reading. The guided readings are questions that focus the students' reading assignments. The guided readings are to be done before the content is lectured on. They are turned in for completeness, not for content. My quizzes come from the questions on the guided readings. Using both these methods in conjunction has increased the nubemer of my students who come to class prepared.

I have found that "unprepared students" will learn to be prepared if they know that a quiz is given after each reading assignment and comprehensive tests are also given. I give homework assignments due at the beginning of each class. Points are lost if the homework is not turned in at the beginning of class.

Hi Dennis,
Unprepared students must be taught a lesson. Once they discover that you are on point, and you are not going to tolerate their foolishness, they quickly become more responsible.
Patricia

These students are easy to find, so I will once every 2 weeks give a pop quiz that they can get the information out of a book or from notes.This will usually keep them from forgeting those materials.

Hi Tracy,
Unprepared students stand out. I like the idea of giving a pop quiz to keep information fresh. After a pop quiz or two, I am sure some of the unprepared students become more prepared.
Patricia

I like your idea of guided reading and making an assignment due for completeness not for content. It encourages the student to be prepared for the class as they have to turn something in. I guess the grade that you can use this for is homework or class participation.

I like to tell my students a phrase that my previous boss told me. The 5 P's will do wonders:

Proper planning prevents poor performances

I have found assigning end of chapter question before we work on the chapter helps. I also check only for completeness. We then go over as a class and they have to correct their own work. I continually remind them that material will be on exams.

Hi Pamela,
Students gain a sincere interet whenever they find out a concept will be on the exam.
Patricia

Look into a technique called "Talking to the Text" and into "reading Apprenticeship" type assignments

I usually quiz the students on the previous class, so I know they are keeping up with the material. This quiz is part of their grade. The students do well and prepare because they strive to get a good grade. Some days students have personal issues going on and are not as prepared, so in the syllabus I have told them I will drop the lowest quiz grade. Seems to work...

I have found that sometimes these students do not understand the material. With some one-on-one attention or group work, they can get back on track. This helps them to become more engaged with the class.

Sign In to comment