Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

unfocused students

Usually when you have a student or students that aren't focused there is a reason for it. Either there are personal problems ar perhaps they just have no interest in the topic you are presenting. As a facilitator, you need to identify these students early on before it effects there grade or perhaps the rest of the class. If you can relate the topic to something that may interest them or tailor parts of the topic to various situations that may interest said students they will become more enguaged. Sometimes if you have a student with personal issues and they are willing to talk to you about them then you can give situations that other people had to overcome and let them know it is tough to concentrate when there are other situations going on. But there are times where you have to seperate school/work from personal issues. If the issues are bad enough, let them know that schools have counselors to help them through.

Hi Arthur,
You are on point. There is a reason for everything. Sometimes the reason is beyond our scope as educators to resolve, and we must get counselors involved.
Patricia

If a student is not able to focus on class material there is always a reason why. Students pay to be in class, so 9 times out of 10 they WANT to learn. For every action, there is a reaction. If something is on a student's mind, they wont focus on their instructor.

Hi Steven,
As an instructor, we should want to find out why the student is unfocused so that if we cannot help the student, we can find someone who can. At my institution, we have a program that has experts that can handle any kind of challenge you may face.

You're right Steve, and usually with a brief discussion with the student I can get some information from them on what is going on. If it is something I've expeirenced before I will offer my insight on the situation and try to help them see the light at the end of the tunnel.
This usually turns things around, and if not I will refer them to a counselor and let them know that YES we do care what is going on.

Hi Chad,
It is important to let students know how much you really care about them. Just by letting the student know that you care, can sometimes convince the student to share things with you. A student appreciates it when they know that we care.
Patricia

One of the most challenging things to do as an instructor is to ensure everyone is focused on the material covered. Not everyone has the same motivation for learning and when the motivation is gone, so is their attention. Its important to understand and recognize that potential issues could exist if a student appears "less than motivated". Also, helping the student find resolve for their issues demonstrates good leadership skills that will resound for many classes to come for new students coming into your course.

This usually turns things around, and if not I will refer them to a counselor and let them know that YES we do care what is going on.

Also, helping the student find resolve for their issues demonstrates good leadership skills that will resound for many classes to come for new students coming into your course.

Hello Rami,
It is always important to let our students know that we do care. It is always best to get a counselor involve if the problem is beyond your scope to solve.
Patricia

Hello Rami,
The word spreads when you are helpful to your students. What a good way to build a positive reputation.
Patricia

Due to my experiences as a counselor, I'm naturally going to listen to my students issues (when they divulge), and try to give them suggestions for have to address them. I also ask them to update me on their progress or lack of. But, I often get the students who dilvuge their problems on an on-going basis. I will initially listen and see if we can come up with a solution to the problem, but I will also refer the student to other staff or resources that are more appropriate to address these outside concerns.

I will initially listen and see if we can come up with a solution to the problem, but I will also refer the student to other staff or resources that are more appropriate to address these outside concerns.

One of the most challenging things to do as an instructor is to ensure everyone is focused on the material covered. Not everyone has the same motivation for learning and when the motivation is gone, so is their attention. Its important to understand and recognize that potential issues could exist if a student appears "less than motivated". Also, helping the student find resolve for their issues demonstrates good leadership skills that will resound for many classes to come for new students coming into your course.

Hi Rami,
It would be a perfect world if everyone wanted to learn, but it is simply not going to happen. Be an effective instructor and teach the ones who really and truly want to learn and do your very best to motivate and encourage those who could care less.
Patricia

Hello Rami,
Do the best that you can as an educator to resolve students' problems. If the problem is beyond your scope, of course, find appropriate help. It appears that you do utilize your resources.
Patricia

You Are absolutly right try to find what is wrong first and them found the topic they will be interested

Hello Philippe,
We have to find ways to keep our students interested and motivated. If there is a particular topic that does the trick, use the topic to your advantage by keeping the student interested.

Unfortunately I don't think many students realize that they pay to be in class. If they're taking out loans, it's not "real" money for them.

Hello Laura,
You have a point, loans do not seem to have the same affect on students as cash. How psychological....!
Patricia

Sign In to comment