Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

SYLLABUS

I am glad that this course is streesing the syllabus so much. What I have seen over the years that many classes skip this very inportant part of the class and it makes it harder not only for that instructor but also instructors that have to follow them later on in the students tenure at the school. If it is not instilled in the student from the beginning of what is expected of them and also required of them then it creates alot of gray areas especially around grade time!

Hi Brian,
Wow, it amazes me that an instructor would omit the syllabus on the first day. The syllabus is the road map for the class. At my educational institution, it is mandatory that instructors THOROUGHLY go over the syllabus on the first day so that sudents will know up front what is expected of them.
Patricia

I agree that the syllabus should be stressed on the first day. I noticed when I breeze through the syllabus the students do not take it seroiusly and never look at it again. Also, questions about tests and grades should be answered on day one so the student clearly understands what is expected of them. This eliminates frustration from the student later on in the term.

Hi Tina,
The syllabus should be discussed thoroughly. I generally spend an hour on the first day going over my syllabi in great detail. The time is truly worth it in the end.
Patricia

brian makes a good point here. I like to have the students read the syllabus to the class and then tell us when the test for each lecture is. the whole class is engaged then and they then have a clear and concise structure of what is expected of them.
broud

Hi Michael,
What a great technique to use. It is wonderful to make the students accountable.
Patricia

Can you decide that you want to change how you award points for discussion after you hand out the syllabus which describes a method that you do not want to use anymore or should a person just live with it and change it next time.

Hi Robert,
What do you typically do? I've always practiced what's been given to the students on the syllabus, and I change it the next time.
Patricia

I cannot invision a class where I teach one minute without having first spent a great deal of time presenting the sylabus and also taking questions about it. It really serves as a form of a "contract" with the student, what is expected of the teacher and the student. It sure helps eleviate questions about when assignments are due throughout the term.

Hi Craig,
It just seems that it is the right thing to do on Day 1 of the class. The students expect you to open the class on Day 1 with a syllabus.
Patricia

I agree 100% with you. Going over the syllabus the first day is imparative, especially the grading system.

I agree 100% with you. Going over the syllabus the first day is imparative, especially the grading system.

I agree what is written must be followed and change it for the next class.

Sign In to comment