Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Challenging Students

I find it really hard for a student to really want to be sucessful in a class and then miss the first day of the class.I will get the student aside when he comes in on the second day of class and try to get some kind of idea why he would not show up for one of the most important days of the class and then try to encourage them to take it on themselves to make up for it in a way that suits them. if they do,then it makes me believe in their excuse !

Hi Steve,
We have a policy that encourages students to attend the first day of class. If a student misses the first day of class, the student must take the final exam. At my institution students can be exempted from the final exam,if they have an "A" average and perfect attendance. Since this policy has been adopted, first day attendance has improved drastically.

Steve I agree with you.This is what I do with the students that miss the first day. I take them aside and explain to them that as they procede from one section to another, the classes become more challenging. Where it might have not really affected the outcome of an earlier course to miss the first day, it will definetly affect the outcome of the later classes, including this one. I tell them if they do not miss any more time, and, they work extra hard they can still possibly have a successful outcome.

One thing that really helped me in regards the first day of class is to make sure that I visit the students last day of class!
We already coordinate among us Instructors to do so. The last day of class we allow 5 minutes to the new Instructor to present himself to the class. This way students know in advance a scoop of what is expected from them in the new class.
That reduced drastically first day class students missings.

What an excellent idea. I have a couple of courses where there is so much material that we have to hit the ground running. I have a hard time communicating to some of the classes what material needs to be read for the first week of class. A system like this would certainly facilitate that.

Hi Myra,
Great! Do you intend on utilizing the system as stated or are you going to modify the system as needed?
Patricia

I forwarded it on to my dean to see if would be possible to set up such a system. I haven't heard back yet, so we'll see.

When I attended school, the instructors from the next class came in and introduced themselves to us and explain a little about what their class was about. It really helped. Most of the students I have in class have met me in my classroom ahead of time and have had the opportunity to speak to me. For those challenging students, I try to find out about their interests and incorporate those into the class. This really works in my class.

Sign In to comment