Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping all students focused on the class

You can take a class of any size and the students will fall into one type of group or another. You may have a couple that are center stage students, a few may have low attention spans, a couple could be ready to give up, or the excuse givers. All this, is what it is, and has been for as long as we have been teaching students. We as facilitators, teachers, motivators, role models need to bring all students together regardless of the class situation. It is up to us to set the bar , raise the standards, and get all students involved in the course and its content no matter what is going on. Be flexable use state changes, ask questions, make them part of the class and not just someone who is sitting in a class. By taking charge of our enviroment, being interactive, showing excitement, and maybe a bit on the wild or crazy side at times, we can bring any type of student into focus and give them back their drive, or put them into their place with very little actual effort. Learnig needs to be fun, exciting, and the willingness to learn is up to us to direct each student in their proper direction. Don't dwell on one type of problem student, this will take away from what is important, and that is teaching our students. Get all involed by choice their choice by how we interact with them.

Hi Mark,
What an awesome response! My thoughts are exactly as yours. I would love to be a student in your classes. You must be a superb instructor because I am. :-)
Patricia

Mark, great response. I agree that there are all types of students with individual personalities. after reading this unit I understand that much better and appreciate the tips they gave in handling specific student personalities. Keeping students in a the right direction, motivated and being a role model is important for student success. Thanks for the information, Sharon

Great post!! I think that showing the students the curriculum will be fun to learn makes them open up to receiving the material easier. I let my students know that I am firm and enjoyable at the same time.I allow students to participate far greater than what they are used to in other past settings.This really motivates them.

Hi Jason,

We are on the same page! What a combination--fun while learning.
Patricia

Amen brother! I couldn't agree more. Many of my students have either failed or just barely made it out of a traditional "sit down, face the black board, shut-up and listen to me drone on and on and on learning environment". I have found by being aware of the type of students I have, teaching to a number of different types of learners, and generally ensuring that the learning process is relevant and enjoyable - being a career educator is most of the time an awesome experience. I let my enthusiam for the subject and profession show and the students naturally pick-up on it. If I see a class starting to get away from me I don't point my finger at them, because when I do I've got three more fingers pointing back at me.

Hi David,
Students often comment to me about the enthusiasm and love I display for the teaching profession. Believe it or not, the enthusiasm is definitely a trickle down effect. Each time I walk into my class I put on my happy face.
Patricia

Hi David,
You're right, sometimes when the class is getting away from the instructor, it is not always the students' fault. The instructor needs to evaluate himself/herself.
Patricia

Motivation and being a role model is important for student success.

Hi Peter,
I express the importance of being a role model to my instructors. I always tell my instructors they are to be at LEAST one step above the students to be looked upon as a role model.
Patricia

I agee it is up to the instructor to keep the class focused. Spend just 20 minutes doing nothing but reading slides and the majority of the class is asleep. Walk around the room make them follow you with there eyes, constantly ask them why the slide says what it says,explain why the statement on the slide is of value,play games, do what ever it takes. You are the center stage and it is up to you to keep them excited about learning.

Hi Michael,
Nicely said! We are entertainers as educators. We must keep our students excited. As educators, you do whatever it takes to keep excitement in the classroom.
Patricia

Very much agree Mark,I try to be as interactive as possible with all students,so they become interested in learning and lets them know that their education and their success is important to me.

Being flexible, moving about the room and being excited about your subject, and creating an interactive learning environment whenever possible are all great goals. I am better at it some days then others. Engaging all students is the challenge and that is where individual attention with constructive criticism and/or praise for what is good about their work comes in.

Hello Melanie,
As educators, we are entertainers. We want to always have outstanding performances, but some shows are better than others.
Patricia

I must Say that some of the suggestions found in these forums are very enlightening

Hi Russell,
How do you go about keeping your students focused?
Patricia

Hi, keeping the students focused is easy if you put the cell phones in the front of the class until break time where they can't be touched.

Sign In to comment