Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Unfocused Students

It seems the students right out of high schools are the students that just don't care. So now I assign them projects on training aids that in need repaired. I also help them and oversee that the job is done correctlly.

Hi John,
I have found with the younger generation that you do have to remind them that they are in college and not high school. I emphasis to the younger generation that in order to make it in college, the committment level has to be higer and very serious.
Patricia

most of the students i encounter in this category are more interested in proving what they already know than learning something new. all they need is to know that they can trust you then they can admitt that they dno't know then they are able to learn

Hello Curran,
It is interesting when you have those students who think they already know everything. I normally make it a point to prove to those students that they don't know everything, and it is something that they can gain from the class.
Patricia

The high school students I've encountered seem to be more focused because they are in a current routine of "good behaviors" - turning in assignments on time, studying, etc. - the more challenging students seem to be students out of school for a while and need some direction. Great idea of keeping your high school students motivated.

Hi LaWanda,
Most of the time high school students are already in their routine of study. Students that have been out of school for a while can sometimes need a lot of direction, encouragement, and confidence.
Patricia

Response to Curran,
I feel that if a student is unfocused it may mean that either there are too many distractions or the delivery of the course content is boring or unstimulated. Different teaching tools should help keep the students focused. I also think group exercises breaks things up and gets the students back on track. Sharon

Patricia, that is very true. High school students now in college may love the new freedom of their classes yet are still used to regiment from their high school days. Now if we could only keep them focused. The classroom needs to be entertaining and fun to keep them involved. Great post, Sharon

A lot of young people have learned to manipulate their parents and school teachers to get by. They are frustrated when it doesn't work anymore. Building their confidence and self esteem is a good strategy to help them along

I agree, but they too have been manipulated.They are been taught to strive for mediocrity in everything from school to sports. For example a kids Tee ball league stops keeping score if a team is 3 runs higher than the other team,and even the worst team will get a trophy just because they played. This shows kids that there is no need to excel in life because everyone is a winner.In school we see this with test curves or students in post secondary school that have an IEP and need tests read to them, in the real world I never had my boss read a service manual to me.I think kids need to learn at an early age that failures are a part of life. And they are largley responible for thier achievments or lack of them.

i feel the same way younger students have become desensitized to life they just want to get buy and do not want to put in more effort than they need to. they dont understand that if you whant to succede you will have to apply themself. so i try to find out how to relate this to them as i assign stations i try to point out the relevance of the task.

Hi Roger,
The younger generation has to be dealt with very firmly, and it must be made known to them that no one owes them anything, and if they want to do well in class they must earn it.
Patricia

I enjoy the mature students who are coming back to school after years of being out of the academic arena the most. I appreciate the bravery that they show by walking through that door on the first day. Many have dreamed of coming to college for a long time. That group is afraid of speaking out at first because they have not been in school for a long time. They do not want to say something that might make them look foolish to their fellow classmates or the instructor. Their study skills are rusty to say the least, but they are so motivated to succeed. They will find a way to pour over those books after a few weeks back in the classroom in order to understand the material. They will soon be brave enough to ask those questions in class when they need clarity on a point that they do not understand. I have often taken this student aside in a class and asked them to lead they way in asking questions. The classroom is more complex in student dynamics today because we have several generations in the same classroom. The younger and the older students must learn to glean knowledge and appreciate what they can give to each other by being open minded and not prejudiced against a certain generation. I have seen lasting friendships develop and real support across those generations that the students would never have imagined possible. The classroom is a facsimile of the modern workplace today. Your boss may be years younger than you or years older, but you must learn to appreciate what you both have to offer.

Sign In to comment