Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Engage the student

I try to keep students motivated and moving even while lectures. If they start falling out, we will take a break and stretch or walk.

Hi Ron,
It is a must to keep students engaged. We are truly entertainers as well as educators. We must keep students interested, motivated, and excited.
Patricia

When a student is not focused you need to rule out the causes. Are they sick, family problems, not prepared ect. Maybe they are just bored.

If they have a problem, sometimes just listening to them will help. Make them aware that for a time they can put problems away when they are in school.

Asking the student to summerize the lecture part of the class will help them pay attention and make them feel important.

Breaking students into small groups and assigning each person in the group to participate helps a student focus.

Having a stretch or dance break is also a good way to get students moving.

If it is an onging problem the teacher must find out what the problem is if possible. Is the student having vision, hearing problems. Do they have trouble reading or comprehending material.
Each of these issues can be addressed by utlizing the school resource department.

In any case a little investigation will always help the student know that you care what goes on with them.
Marie

Hello Marie,
It is imperative to find ways to engage the student. What works for one student may not work for another.

If you bore a student, you must get very creative to find a method that will keep the student engaged.

As educators, we must be good listeners. Sometimes students just simply want you to listen.

Asking for a summary will force a student to pay attention.

In a nut shell, the problem has to be discovered, especially if it is a learning disability.

I have recommended several students to our Student Employee Assistance Program due to having very severe problems.

My favorite moto is, "A student doesn't care how much you know, until they know how much you care."
Patricia

i agree student varie alot and one thing does not work for the whole

Hi Mark,
You must try a variety of teaching techniques. You're right, what works for one student may or may not work for another student.
Patricia

The motivation that I use is the story of the week , this week it is cardinals and I try to get them excited about something and then that somthing turns out to be school !!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Ronald,
Share one of your stories with me. I know a lot of instructors use jokes or motivational sayings. I would love to hear an engaging story used by an instructor.
Patricia

This to me is the most important part of teaching a class with out the student’s interaction the class will drag on even for the instructor. It is also the hardest. I try to keep the students involved with the lesson by asking open ended questions, get them to tell there class there experiences with the subject and present the material in an exiting way by using body language and training ads.

Keep them involved!!!!

Engaging students can be done a variety of ways. I have found that by redirecting their focus to a different area for a very short period of time works well to re-engage them to the topic at hand. The key is to controll the subject and time frame. Almost always,when we pick up the current subject matter there is new life in the lecture.

Patricia, right on the money. My students come to learn culinary arts so an instructor who is pumped up during lecture and demo keeps them hot and ready to go. Passion for what we teach will positively impact the way we come across to the class and keep them focused and motivated. Joe

Hi Joe,
Stay pumped and motivated! This will trickle down to your students! Have a ball!
Patricia

I do exactly the same strategy. Keeping them "entertained" is how I see it. I pay particular attention to facial cues and when I see them getting that "bored gaze" or that look that I know that their mind is elsewhere, I immediately switch gears. I ask them about their past experiences/skills acquired in their previous experience or employment and try to relate it to the subject matter. I make them role play and, quite effective for me is to play videos that show various disease progression, therapeutic interventions and procedures.

I make it a point to engage with each of my students by making eye contact, remembering something that they are interested in, and incorporating that info into the class discussion. I feel that it shows them that I am interested in their thoughts, and it encourages them to pay attention.

Hi Tina,
Student engagement is very important! I make sure to involve every student in the lesson daily.
Patricia

Sign In to comment