Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Setting the stage

I want to emphasize to my students the importance of meeting deadlines as they are essential not only in the classroom, but even more so in the workplace - how can I achieve this without sounding too "dictatorial"? Have them provide input on what the standards should be? That seems dangerous. Perhaps I should begin with an example of late work and make it a classroom discussion. A little role-playing activity? (I may have just answered my own questions). Thoughts?

Hi Christopher,
Put a policy in place for late assignments.

Patricia Scales

What I usually try to do is liken assignments and grades to the pay they get in the workplace. The idea is that they are training to work and will have deadlines - if they don't meet those deadlines, they don't get paid or worse, they get fired. I ask them how many chances they would give an employee to turn in late work, miss deadlines, or miss work. Usually they are surprised by how intolerant they would be if actual money were involved as compared to grades. It seems to help & gives a good opening to discuss my expectations so they can get the "pay" they want.

Hi Alison,
Students tend to get it when we relate what they are doing to the real world. Whenever they understand how an employer will look at a situation, the student tend to shape up.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment