Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Syllabus

I often find myself going through the syllabus without much enthusiasm. From this lesson I found the information on making the syllabus more interesting by using colored paper, placing items in boxes, and modifying text as a creative way to engage the students in this process.

Hi Scott,
When you present your syllabus try to use as much enthusiasm as possible so that you can get your students excited. Excitement really begins with the instructor.

Patricia Scales

When I review the syllabus with my students, I explain the fun activities we have planned for the class. This of course requires me to be creative about the class beforehand. So far, my students have done well at paying attention to the syllabus.

Hi Kimberly,
Students love it when we mention that we are going to have fun in class. A great mixture is to have fun while learning.

Patricia Scales

Presenting the syllabus can be boring but I state that it it the guide for the entire course. It includes everything they need to know about policies, expectations, evaluation and grading scales. This is where I bring examples of student work in. If there is a project specifically mentioned in the syllabus, I show them student work.

So how do you make the syllabus more interesting if your schools policy does not allow you to modify it? Beyond just using colored paper?

Hi Chris,
Present your ideas to the DOE and see how welcoming your suggestions are.

Patricia Scales

I must admit that I also feel the same way about presenting my syllabus. I think it is because I work for a career college and the syllabus is already laid out for me. I have a class addendum that explains my classroom policies; for example, my late work policy is explained and how I will determine the grade. It is this part that gives me trouble.

I often feel, regardless of how much I smile, or try to have a light and un-opposing tone, that my students hate rules and view them as someone telling them what to do. Not a large percentage mind you, just a few. I see the eyes rolling, and the head shakes. At these moments I often get annoyed because I've worked so hard to make this clear and to be fair.

But since going through this section of the course, I've come up with an idea. I might divide my students into groups. Each group will have one section of the syllabus to read and discuss and then present that to the class.

It is in your presentation style. If you treat the document as important and interesting, it will come across to the students. After all, the syllabus is a contract between the instructor and the student.

Hi Douglas,
I concur! It is not what you say, but how you say it. Seriousness and importance begin at the top with the instructor. I plainly let my students know the importantance of the syllabus.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment