Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

During the syllabus introduction the concept of a compact is espoused, i.e. a simple "If and then arrangement" e.g. If you complete these set of tasks then you'll pass this course . . . That way there's no BS'ing, no salesmanship required, IIWII (It is what it is).

Hi Cassie,
Students really get it when you make it applicable to the real world, and I like how you add even more flavor to the course by bringing in guest speakers.
Patricia

not sure what you mean by : "get course buy in from your students" please explain.

Thank you.

I always try to accentuate the practicality of the course and how they will use it every day in their careers and their everyday lives. I try to be clear about expectations and what I expect them to learn and why. Giving examples of the practical uses they will have for things they will learn in the course is also effective in making them see the importance of the class.

I teach a prepatory english class and the material-grammar exercises and writing essays-is usually a pretty dry topic. I love the subject matter because the written word holds awesome power. My students don't understand how effective communication, both orally and written, is crucial thier success.Do you have an ideas and how to make grammar more exciting than watching grass grow?

I try to give examples of real life experiences that relate to the subject matter at hand

I agree that you must be excited to there and teaching the subject. The students can instantly see thru you if you do not show that energy and interest in your subject.

To get buy in by students I attempt to have them relate the new material they are learning to their prior knowledge.

I use a brainstorm on a given prompt, show a picture related to course material, or even ask if a student may want to discuss their real-life experience related to the course.

I also try to stress the fact that what they are learning will be of direct use in their career.

What are other ways that people taking this course get student buy-in?

Point out the relevance of topics to their everyday lives. For example, basic chemistry lessons can point out the relevance of certain gases such as CO2, methane, oxides of nitrogen, and others, to global climate change, which affects all of us and helps students gain a global perspective on important issues. It may also inspire them to become more responsible citizens.

Have them search for examples of poor communication in advertisements, memorandums, news articles, etc. I sometimes play a game called Cranium, which is about communicating in various ways without using words.

Stress the fact that effective communication is not only important in their careers but also in all their relationships. Marriage, Children,and friends. I have seen many relationships destroyed due to a simple misunderstanding in some communication.

I try to bring in professional experiences I've had as often as possible to support and justify the points I make to my students. There are a lot of things we must all do on a daily basis that, on the surface, we may not fully understand, but there is a reason behind them, and they are requirements nonetheless. When convincing students they must wear their badges, I share with them that I don't particularly like wearing a necktie either, but in the grand scheme of things we must choose our battles.

Sometimes we must do certain things in our lives, not because we want to, but because we need to, to get to where we eventually want to be. I feel that older adult learners (35+) have a greater understanding of this concept than the younger students in their 20's or just out of high school.

If we can teach patience and persistence to the younger adults, it is a great gift, and a very valuable life skill. As an instructor at a technical school I always try to emphasize that willingness to positively do one's required work, first in the classroom and next on the job, is a highly valued skill from an employer's perspective.

I always use relevance to how the material can be used in a practical way in their work lives and/or personal lives.

Hi Joseph,
Communication is key just for life in general both personally and professionally.
Patricia

Hi Keith,
Students tend to get it whenever you can apply the course to real life. They need to and want to know how they will benefit from their learning.
Patricia

Hi Leesa,
Absolutely! Whenever students see that they can benefit from the course either personally and/or professionally they have a keen interest in the subject matter.
Patricia

Hi Liza,
How do you get your students to see the usefulness/purpose of the course.
Patricia

Hi George,
I like it! You are definitely my kind of professional; short, sweet, and straight to the point!
Patricia

Hi Amy,
I had an instructor that would let us choose our own topic for various writing assignments or choose from a list of suggested topics to spark more excitement/interest.
Patricia

Sign In to comment