Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

ratioale for learning.. past success storys

I like to include storys about the success of former students that I keep in touch with that are now successful in thier jobs. It helps reenforce the value of the material and skills I am teaching.

Having a guest speeker ,such as a preveous student that has been successful in the coarse field can realy excite and inthuse the class.

I happened to be in a restraunt and a woman noticed my UTI shirt. She explained that her son graduated from UTI and is now earning 70k a year at a jag dealer. It was nice to here her sons success story.

Had one the other day. Graduated from UTI two years ago and is now doing just fine in the industry. Came back to visit us.

Hi Norman,
Don't you just love those who come back to visit after graduating, and they are doing so well. I have these graduates come into my class for a brief moment to share their testimony. Sharing the testimony is so encouraging to others. I love these visitors.
Patricia

After 19 years in the Automotive Education business, I see former graduates all the time and it’s great to see them doing well. There is nothing better that a former student quoting you from years gone by. That when you know it stuck.

Hi Louis,
I just experienced that today. I understand the gratification you get from it. I feel your experience. Continue to shine as an instructor!
Patricia

I try to draw from my success and some not so successful situations from the field to show them why the class material is relivant.

Hi Rick,
What a good technique to use to convince students what the class material is relevant. Once students uderstand the relevancy of the class material they are more eager to learn the material.
Patricia

I have a former student that has completed the Porsche MSAT program. He is now working in a local Porsche dealership as a Tech and the dealerships Roadside and Mobile Service. He stopped in a few weeks back a visited my class. He told the students how valuable the MSAT education is. He's making about $75,000 a year and is assigned a Porsche Cayenne as a company vehicle. The class was pretty impressed and asked a lot of questions. I know that the visit helped to inspire some students.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Wow! What a motivating student from a graduate to inspire others.
Patricia

I find that using my own past as a reference for success and failure allows me to reach my students in a more personal manner. They are less likely to think that I am some sort of all seeing, all knowing being and realize that I have made the same mistakes as them. Almost taking some of the pressure off of them by showing that Im not embarassed of my errors since they are a part of the learning process.

Hi David,
It does make a different effect whenever students see that you are human, and you too have made some mistakes along the way, but in spite of it all you've done well.
Patricia

My course is the last "classroom" class that they have before they advance on to their externship. I have thought about having a guest speaker come in to address some of their fears and expectations of what lies ahead for them, but I wasn't sure how to tie it to the course content of psychology. After taking this training, I'm re-thinking this issue, and I want to incorporate guest speakers to rekindle their interest and application of what they have learned. Thanks.

As a first time instructor new to the area, I'm not sure who to invite as a guest speaker at this point, as the extern sites aren't set up yet. However, after reading these posts, I think it will be a great idea in the future to invite a successful graduate back to answer questions and help motivate the students. This should help students connect the class with their future career. -Jeanne

Sign In to comment