Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Getting students Interested in Learn

One method that I like to use which works very well for me since I teach at an automotive institute is relating things to topic that interest students Like when I teach electrical courses I realate many things to the performance aspect of vehicles which works well.

In the cooking school we can compare and contrast a finished dish on the basis of taste, texture, temperature, aroma and presentation. There will be many differences even though each student used the same basic raw materials/ingredients. Then we address why each dish came out different.

I find that I make sure the students understand I am like them in many ways; I have just this line of work longer. This usually removes any fences and opens up a good atmosphere conducive to a good learning experiance.

I tend to speak alot of real world field experience and the importance of acheiving the best qaulity and professionalism that they can in their work,not to mention the amount of money they can make when they meet or exceed those goals.

I totally agree! Setting a student at ease in a classroom setting is as easy as saying the biggest difference between us is experience. I have found on numerous occasions where students feel less inhibited to ask questions and get involved. Furthermore, sharing their passion for like minded ideas helps exponentially.

Hi Steve,
As instructors, we must continue to try as hard as we can to make our students feel at ease. It does take some work.
Patricia

I like to link my own life experiences with facts that I teach in my courses. For instance, in mathematics, I explain students the importance to know fractions and how they are used in the real world.

Hello Hector,
Whenever you teach a concept, I feel instructors should do just as you do, explain how the concept applies to the real world. Students become really interested in real world application.
Patricia

Sign In to comment