Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Get students envolved early

Getting the students envolved early is key to grabbing thier attention, stirring up excitement in the course, and wanting to learn. Work in small segments, get their hands on material and components of the class projects and let them see, feel, and participate in activeities that they will be doing while in class. These interactive demostrations act a practice time that opens up lines of communications and questions that the whole class can participate in. This increases the excitement felt towards the course and its content.

I have a book that has old and new cases that are put in the format of cartoons. I choose which ones pertain to the class I am teaching and on the first day ask the students to read them, and decide the case. It introduces them to the law but in a fun way.

Hi Karen,
Nothing is better than having fun while learning! Students tend to really retain information that is learned in a fun way.
Patricia

Response to Mark, I agree that you have tio get students attention early and excited about the material. Visuals, guest speakers and getting to know you exercises in the beginning creates a rapport with the group and familiarizes them with one another and the instructor. Great post, very informative. Sharon

Karen, that is very true. When learning is fun, I believe the student will retain the information and gains much more. Sharon

One thing that we do in our program is to divide up the introduction course lecture over a period of four days. This way we can get our students in the lab on day one, and progressively increase lab time as the week goes on. Day one is very causual and includes a tour where they can see where they will work, what they will work on, and the tools/equipment that they will use. Each student has a module guide for every task, so they are always on track with the course. This seems to ease their tension and get them motivated to learn.

A system that has worked well for me in regards of getting students early envolved with the class is to present myself to them the last day of the prior class they are taken or enrolled. This is usually a Friday. I explain them what they will learn in the next class and how they could apply what they learned in the current class as well.
That's sparkle interest among them and usually next Monday( first day of new class), students are already aware of the class content.

Hi Marcelo,
What an awesome strategy to use. This makes perfect sense. I see how this can have its advantages.
Patricia

I have always found this be the case as well. Nicely stated!

Having a great icebreaker on the first day gets students involved, and it also creates a great first impression of you as an instructor. Since we are training students to ultimately be able to give a great first impression at an interview, we are leading by example when we do this.

What are some of your icebreaker ideas?

I like to have students interview each other and report back to the class. This way they can connect one-on-one with one another and the class.

Hi Megan,
Pass around a bowl of M&M's and students can take how many they want. Based on the number of M&M's taken that is the amount of things they have to tell about themselves. Also, I like using an adjective that begins with their first name to introduce themselves, for example,Patricia would be Positive Patricia.
Patricia

I could not agree more with Marcelo. I find that if you can tie in past courses with your current course, then students are not as nervous. Reminding my students of what information they already know and how it pertains to my current topic makes them feel more confident.

Sign In to comment