Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Handeling late or missed assignments

What additional management steps are recommended for students that continually fall behind with assignments and homework?

The first step we use is a written early warning. After the second time it is probation and the last step is dismissal. Of course in between those times we continully speak to the student to find out what may be the issue and try to resolve it.

I believe your initial coaching should be to discuss with the student the requirements and the reasons for them as well as the effect of further non-compliance. It should be made clear to the student that you want them to succeed and you are there to help them. Have the student repeat to you the requirement as well as the effects of failure to comply and verify that they understand it.

On a second occurrence the situation should be documented, specifically what has occurred as well as the previous discussion. After reviewing the document the student should sign it. Again go over with the student the expectation for compliance, ask what they may need from you to succeed and work with them to find a solution. Have them again repeat to you the expectation, the effect of a third issue of non-compliance as well as any agreement you have made and verify they understand.

The third occurrence will require a re-take of the course. This situation should be documented and the student should read and sign it. You should again assure them that you are there to help them succeed but that they have not complied with their portion of the expectations and requirements. Verify that they understand what has happened and that when they take the course next time you will still be there to help them succeed.

This method works most effectively when you are in a school where all instructors are doing the same thing. When you have individual instructors that are not following the requirements or do not hold the students responsible for the expectations and requirements, you will have students that will test the waters continually. Always be fair and consistent, by doing so you will get a reputation that will precede you and work to your advantage.

Hi Steve,
Great effort has been put into your response!

I can geniunely tell that you care for your students, and you truly want them to succeed!

I like the different approach that you'd take. I notice that each time you become firmer and documenting things are very important to you. I strongly agree that the method would be most effective if ALL instructors are doing the same thing. As an educator, I have realized you get from students what you expect, therefore you should always have high expectations of the students.

I spoke to my class Thursday evening about being fair and consistent to students. I have a reputation of being fair and consistent to all, and the reputation precedes me and has always worked to my advantage for 19 years.
Patricia

I do not punish for late assignments. I's rather know that my students know the work and it being handed in late than them not understanding it and completing it and turning it in on time.

Hi Karla,
I do see your view point on this topic, however, my view is totally opposite. I do punish for late assignments. I make it known on day one there is a 10-point penalty for late assignments. I truly believe as an educator you get from your students what you expect. I do have a small percentage of students that will turn in assignments late, but just imagine how many would really turn them in late if there was no penalty. In my Professional Development Class no assingments are accepted late. The student will receive a zero for missed assignments. In the real world deadlines are crucial. We need to begin molding students about the crucialness of deadlines in the educational setting because of the importance of deadlines in the workplace. At my institution, we even have penalties for taking tests late. This is the scale that is used for point deductions for late test takers:
1st Day-10 points
2nd day-an additional 5 points
3rd Day-an additional 5 points
4th Day-an additional 5 points
After the 4th day the student will receive a "0" if the test is not taken.

You have some students that will truly take advantage of you because you are so lenient on late assignments. The student may know the material thoroughly, but the student knows you are not going to deduct points so the student is thinking I'll just turn in my assignment whenever.
Patricia

I handle late or missed assignments in the following order:

1. Assign the Assignments and give deadline
2. If the student absent on day assignments are due then when they return to class they must have written approved excuse for assignments to be excepted if not student receives a zero for that assignment.

Hi Vonia,
I too give a deadline for assignments. I will deduct 10 points for late assignments. I save myself the headache by not getting into excused and unexcused absences, I simply deduct 10 points. Do you tend to follow the same order you have expressed for tests as well? I am stricter on test dates. Actually, my educational institution has an institution-wide policy. The policy is as follows for taking a test late:
*1st Day 10 points are deducted
*2nd Day an additional 5 points are deducted
*3rd Day an additional 5 points are deducted
*After the fourth day, the student receives a "0"
This policy really encourages students to take their tests on time.
Patricia

I emphasize my late work policy on the first day, while going thru the syllabus.

My policy has always been; 10 points off each day the work is late...if student handed the assignment in three days late, and scored a 85 on the assignment, I would show the 85 on the paper but then deduct 30 points for 3 days late, leaving a final score of 55.

My experience has been that the 10 points a day gets their attention...not many assignments will be late...if they are the student will have difficulty passing.

I will urge repeat offenders of the penalty and illustrate to them what they could be accomplishing.

I still handle special or unique circumstances differently...basically inform of the situation ASAP, and I will work with that student to submit their work either prior to the deadline or establish a new deadline for them.

Hello James,

I too emphasize my late assignment policy on the first day, while going through the syllabus. The policy is documented on the syllabus as well. My policy is very similar to your policy. I deduct 10 points for assigments that are late, however, I have an extremely strict policy for tests/final exams. The policy for tests/final exams is as follows:
1st Day- 10 points deduction
2nd Day- an additional 5 points deduction
3rd Day-an additional 5 points deduction
4th Day-an additional 5 points deduction
After the 4th day, the student receives a zero. The policy is only waived due to extenuating circumstances, such as death, accident, hosiptalized, etc., and documentation must be provided. I agree by having a policy in place due to late assignments, the policy certainly decreases the number of students that will turn in late assignments and/or take tests/final exams late. In the real world students will have deadlines and as instructors we need to mold students accordingly. When their boss says a project is due on a given date, the deadline is etched in stone, otherwise if the deadline is not met, the person will be reprimanded, possily in the harshest form (termination).
Patricia

If a course is short I also offer extra credit for turning assignments in early, so I can get grades done.

Taking points off for late helps because it makes students reponsible. It helps avoid a lot of bargaining and wheedling by students. If they miss the deadline they still have a chance to get part credit by completing the assignment. Students know I'll be glad to accept a late assignment for a price. Students who care about their grades govern themselves accordingly and distinquish themselves from ones who do not complete work on time.

Hi Steven,

I rarely offer extra credit, however, I do see your point.

Students should be penalized for late assignments because in the real world deadlines are crucial. I take assignments late as well, but I also deduct 10 points for each day the assignment is late. You are right, there is a big difference in those students who care about their grades versus the ones who do not. Your typical excellent to good students will not dear turn in an assignment late because they want to excel. You have some students who just don't care.
Patricia

I agree with you here. Make sure you lay the ground rules out when going through the syllabus.

On the first day I even put this in bold so when we go throught the syllabus it won't be missed. If an assignment or test was due and they were absent it is due the day they come back. If they don't turn it in then it is 10% off and so on for every day until day 3. After day 3 if they still haven't turned it in its a zero.

Once they recieve a low score on a few assignment it usually turns them around.

If something major has happened in their life then i will work with the student but within reason.

Hello Tanya,
I follow the exact policy with tests and assignments, if a student is absent on the day an assignment and/or test is due, the student must take the test or submit the assignment the day he or she returns. If the assignment is not submitted an additional 5 points are deducted, and if the test is not taken, the student is not allowed to attend class on that day, and that day counts as an absence, and the student loses an additional 5 points on the test. The institution never gets into good excuses or bad excuses, the policy is the same regardless.
Patricia

I understand your veiw point but I think students should be held accountable for their actions.In the work world your only given one chance,so start practicing good ethics in school before you get out in the work field

Hi Brian,
Absolutely, students should be held accountable for their actions. We are molding them for the work place, and as you have said they are only given once chance. There is nothing like having great ethic. A student's school ethic is indicative of their work ethic--typically good school ethic leads to good work ethic and vice versa.
Patricia

I agree there should be some penalty for late work. Students will be held accountable in the work place and school is the place to learn that missing deadlines has its consequences. In our department of 7+ instructors, it is standard policy that an assignment that is one day late will result in a 10% deduction of the student's grade for that assignment. 2 days late = 20%. 3 or more days late results in a zero for that particular assignment. This is all discussed in detail with the students on the first day of class when we review the syllabus. Our syllabi are standardized within our department and all contain a clearly written explanation of this policy.

Hi Holly,
I love your department's standard policy. I solely believe in holding students to a very high standard. I may even implement this policy with my instructors. I also like the fact that your syllabi are standardized within your department. At my educational institution all syllabi, lesson plans, tests, quizzes, etc. are standardized, and all policies are indicated on the syllabi. Even at the branch campus our syllabi, tests, lesson plans, quizzes, etc. mimick each other.
Patricia

As a skilled and experienced procrastinator, I know that half the battle is to just get started--take the first step. Then the rest flows more easily.

If possible, require that students draft an outline or plan for the assignment during class time. It is to be turned in at the end of class. If they have questions or need some help, this would be a good opportunity for them to ask the instructor or classmates for help.

Many of us exaggerate how difficult or lengthy an assigment will be. But once we actually get started, it seems more achievable. Giving students a prompt to get started may help them "get on a roll."

I've found that students, in general, truly have the desire to learn. It takes time, however, for some of them to adjust their lives to include school and homework. That being said, I do my best to offer individual strategies and suggestions that may assist students toward efficiency with the completion of their course assignments. Regardless of the situation, though, I always express the importance of meeting deadlines and fulfilling commitments. Sometimes their situations are easy fixes, but other times there is simply too much for them to manage. The latter times are when I refer them to onsite staff who are responsible for managing the personal issues of students.

Sign In to comment