Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Randal,
I am just the opposite, I like to get my assignments done way ahead of time. I do not hold the title as a procastinator. I always encourage my students to get started very early on assignments. Beating deadlines is a great quality to have. You are absolutely correct all you have to do is get started and things will flow from that point.
Patricia

Hello Tiffany,
It can be an adjustment for most students to manage their personal life and school. I try to be understanding as well, however, I do penalize the students for turning in late assignments simply because they must understand the importance of a deadline. I generally take care of all the personal issues for our student body, and I have to be very creative at times.
Patricia

I agree with Holly. Without setting standards for your students to achieve will impact their reaching their full potential.

Hi Ilene,
As educators, we get from our students what we expect. Students should be held to a very high standard by all educators. You will be amazed at how much students can do, all we as educators have to do is require it.
Patricia

We have a policy that missing a day is an automatic zero regardless of reason, but you can get up to 60% if you do an assignment pertinent to that day's material. My policy on homework (not the school's) is 100% for done on time, 105% if early, 0-75% if late- as in, not done is 0, done late but complete is 75%. Depending on the module's breakdown, attendance can be from 25-50% of their grade and homework from 10-25% of their grade. We use a computerized system so I can show them easily how missing a day, not doing an assignment, getting it in on time vs late can drastically change their GPA! Our school uses 6 week modules with 6 credits per mod, so week 4 they really start to panic and looking at how the computer screen change grades up or down motivates the semi-serious. We are teaching adults so we do have life issues, but I also try daily to give examples of how their school work is just as important as the work world- we also role play and that helps.

Hi Janice,
Wow, you have a very strict attendance policy, but I like it. Actually, your attendance policy is a lot stricter than my institution's attendance policy, and I always thougt my institution's attendance policy was tough. At my institution, missing a day decreases the attendance grade, but it is totally up to the instructor based on what we want to take off for late assignments. I believe, the stricter the policy the better because you get from students what you expect. I find it very astonishing that your institution has attendance ranging from 25-50% of the grade. At my institution, attendance can be from 5-10% of the grade. You're right, attendance can make a big difference in their final grade, good or bad.
Patricia

The strict attendance policy of up to 50% depending on the module's material is actually a good one since I am teaching skin care and when they practice on each other, or, hold public clinic it is critical that they are there, on time, prepared. I am new to this career college so I am curious to see how the students do this next mod since their M/W class is 50% and T/TH the 25%. I have told them if they miss these upcoming practicals/clinics there is no way to make it up! T/TH will be lecture so they can make up to 60% of a missed day by doing an assignment. I like the policy, trying to instill this mirrors the real work world.

I totally agree with that statement. I started off teaching with a late policy that stated that I would only accept late work if the student informed me before the assignment was due that it was going to be late. No notification, no late work accepted. I would then deduct 10% every day it was late. I figured that this taught the students how to responsibly handle late assignments the way one would need to in order to be successful in a work environment.

However, this totally backfired on me! The students saw it as a way to get away with turning in late work. I was getting a few e-mails every class from students saying they would not be able to make it to class that day but wanted the opportunity to turn in the work at the following class. It was absolutely riduculous how much they were taking advantage of this policy!

This past quarter I instead decided to establish a no late work policy and I have had great success so far. I did take a few minutes the first class to explain the nature of the policy to my students. I had them walk me through what would happen if they needed to miss a day at work or didn't turn in a project to a boss (ie. you wouldn't get paid, you may loose your job or upset your boss). I then asked them to tell me how they could remedy the situation (ie. pick up an extra shift, ask someone to cover their shift). We then compared that to missing class or not turning in an assignment and the things they would need to do to remedy it (ie. taking advantage of EC assignments, studying extra hard for future quizzes or exams.

The students seemed to understand the comparison and I have since seen a significant drop in my students attempting to turn in late work; not to mention the decrease in great excuses for why they weren't in class or the work was late.

Hi Cynthia,

Always remember, you get from students what you expect. The stricter the policies, the better. As you and I know, it is not easy in the workforce, and we are not doing any favors for our students by being lenient on them. I do not tolerate excuses from my students.
Patricia

I believe students should be held accountable for their work and involvement in the classroom. As stated earlier, this is not high school. We are preparing someone for a position in the real world that requires an attitude and acceptance of responsibility. Without responsibility for themselves, their job performance, and how they affect others, they will fail in their career choice with the possibility that their failure will have adverse effects on others !

While I agree it could be late for a variety of reasons, are these reasons valid ? Am I late because I don't understand ( am I asking questions to resolve my problems ) or am I late because I chose to attend a social event instead of studying ? The big question...am I motivated to successfully complete this course, or am I here for all the wrong reasons. My experience has also shown that missed assignments generally coexist with unattentive nonparticipating members of the class. Grabbing their interests and really lighting up the WIIFM button is a great start to fixing the late/missed problems.

Response to Steve, great suggestions, which I will use in the future. I believe like all discipline it should be done in a progressive manner. Warnings, written documentation and then removal form the course is possible and should be made very clear to the student that this will occur. Progression allows the student to get themselves back on track knowing that they may be given another chance to rectify the situation. Great suggestions. Sharon

I agree.
On the first day of the class we should explain very clearly what is expected and what the consequences of not meeting the expectations are.

Most of my students have either a full time or part time job. I explain to the students what would happen if they continually fail to submit work assigned to them or they are consistently late to go to work in their jobs.

However I also understand that majority of the students have personal and social problems. We should try to help them as much as we can.

I have told them if they miss these upcoming practicals/clinics there is no way to make it up!

On the first day of the class we should explain very clearly what is expected

I think consistency is the main component of successfully managing late assignments and work. We're not only teaching them the course information, we are helping them build life skills - they need to come away from our courses better prepared for their career, both in terms of content and professionalism. I try to keep that in mind each time I enforce late policies.

I agree with the statement that "the stricter the policy the better you get from the students" wholeheartedly. Students will often do "the minimum", so it is up to us to raise that bar and hold them accountable for a higher "minimum" performance!

Hi Dee,
Absolutely! You get from students what you expect. Raise the bar and expect the most from your students!
Patricia

Hello Dee,
I understand. Every policy I have implemented, I connect it to the workplace. Students have to understand, there are very high expectations in the workplace.
Patricia

Consistantcy is the key for me to all my dealing with my students. I could not agree more that we are teaching the valuable life skills of professionalism and accountability. By changing or amending policies on late assignments we are sending out mixed signals, not only to the student who we make accomidations for but to the class as a whole.

Hello Christine,
Policies are made to be followed. You must be consistent across the board, otherwise there is no use for the policy.
Patricia

Sign In to comment