Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Coping With Stress

I have found that talking with a fellow instructor or friend tends to diffuse many issues thereby alleviating the stress. I would agree, it works.

Kerry, Excellent to hear and I agree! This method works most of the time. The only thing we really need to watch for is to make sure we don't come across as venting too much when sharing with fellow faculty. A little sharing is good, but over-sharing can get us into trouble.

Dr. Melissa Read

I agree,but sometimes just running a script in my head is enough to relieve stress.

To cope with stress at work I use the “sharing” method and discuss the specific stress factors with colleagues who share them and with my mother, husband, or sister. When dealing with difficult situations I often walk away to get some fresh air and this method often clears my mind. I also try to get as much sleep as possible during the week and enjoy late nights on weekends only. I do need to incorporate exercise to continue reducing stress for stressors that simply cannot be eliminated or reduced.

I have "shared" at work and have found that we need not share too much. So maybe exercise will be a better way to go.

Lissete, It sounds like you've got a great system already in place! Keep up the great work. I should note that sharing with colleagues works great as long as we don't share too much or too frequently. Otherwise, we may be labeled as a complainer and that can be detrimental.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sharing too much at work can also become a stressor. I find that taking myself out of a situation for a few minutes, taking a breath, and exercizing have helped my reduce my stress levels and also have helped me be a better instructor, friend, and coworker.

Denise, This is an important point. On one hand, it's great to share challenges with people who experience them like you. Work colleagues can be great for that. At the same time, it's important not to over-share or overburden these people. Otherwise, this can lead to new kinds of challenges.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sign In to comment