Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Assisting your students

Assisting students is not as easy as one think it is, but on the contrary it can be a learning experience and fun. I love helping students in particular, for one reason, it is part of my job, and thats who I am. Helping students is a rewarding activity. Assisting students in realizing there potentials and dreams is highly appreciated by students. In some cases some students somtimes need a little spark, when they are confronted with a math problem, computer problem or any problem for that matter. If you take the time to embrace that students and give the assistance and guidance it goes a long way. That is what I do. Making time and prioritizing your time to help students is very effective. Implement rules, guides and flow ups and you will see results.

We do make a larger impact on our students than we may realize. I have run into former students who can't thank me enough for "being there" for them while they were in school. One student told me that she had actually thought about quitting school but after sitting down and talking with myself and another staff member, had changed her maind and graduated with honors. This is why I teach. I can do more for my students by listening when they need an ear and being patient while they are learning.

Seeing "the lightbulbg go off in a student's head" is priceless!

I agree! For many of us, it's the reason why we're in this business.

I started allowing students to use their book during a portion of the exam to reduce their stress over the exam. I have received postive feedback on this method and many students tell me that they learned a couple of things on the exam.

Sounds like a great method Mark – especially because it is so similar to what your students will do in the real world. The real world isn’t about memorization and regurgitation. It’s about learning where to find the answers and how to quickly find them.

I agree that when I'm having a day when I'm stressed out by things I can't control (eg. technology failures) and my students are stressed by the same cause, I find that I can put my own stress into perspective by trying to help them and to reassure them that were are all going to get through this problem together, one step at a time.

Yes, listening to the stress that others experience really can put your stress into perspective Emily. Sometimes after hearing what other people deal with, your stress really doesn't seem so bad.

Sign In to comment