Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Causes of Stress

From a health perspective, stress can cause a person to over eat thereby becoming obese or the opposite would be to have an individual resort to smoking to aleviate his/her stress. Either way, a person can develop cancer or heart disease. Not a pretty picture.

Stress is a very real concern in any walk of life- including the education field. One of the points that I stress with my students is the importance of having a balanced life- home, work, and/or school. An out-of-balanced life-style will ultimately lead to a lack of success in all areas of life.

David, So true! I think this is great advice for people who work in almost every profession. Balance often gives us peace of mind and quality of life that cannot be matched.

Dr. Melissa Read

One of the major consequences of stress is suppressed immunity, which predisposes the individual to infections and diseases.

John, So true. When we let ourselves get too stressed out, our immunity is often compromised. We more easily get sick and this leads to more stress. Getting ahead of stress early can help break this cycle.

Dr. Melissa Read

I agree but sometimes having a balanced life is a hard thing to accomplish. Some aspects of our lives just demand more of our time and energy. Especially when our chidren are young, we dont want to miss their games, concerts, graduations,etc...

To relieve stress I like to go the park with my family on the weekends.

Sign In to comment