Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I also have a long drive each way and the drive does help relieve the stress of the day. I always make sure to turn the phone off during my drive to eliminate the chances of new stress being brought into play during this time of stress relief.

I do the exact same thing. A hot shower works and so does a liitle red wine. When my stress level escalates, I have to force my self to just stop. What's my most favorite trick? Take a nap. That always clears my head.

My secret weapon to alleviate stress is saying to myself,
" This too will pass and deep breath" followed by a prayer.
Also thinking of good times, to reassure that times, that are stressful, do pass helps.

STRESS- actually being at work is less stressful than being at home sometimes with family members and their quarks.

Thank you - I was self-conscious about saying it because we're all supposed to be saints with endless patience that are flawlessly professional at all times.

Seriously - the end of a long day with all the stressors listed in the lesson every single day will keep me up all night if I don't short-circuit it with a glass of wine and some couch time with my dog.

Intense exercise helps me too. I start getting edgy and irritable without that as an outlet. Just put in the earphones and run away from all the stress or throw in P90x and grunt it out.

Thank you - I was self-conscious about saying it because we're all supposed to be saints with endless patience that are flawlessly professional at all times.

Seriously - the end of a long day with all the stressors listed in the lesson every single day will keep me up all night if I don't short-circuit it with a glass of wine and some couch time with my dog.

Intense exercise helps me too. I start getting edgy and irritable without that as an outlet. Just put in the earphones and run away from all the stress or throw in P90x and grunt it out.

Lance, Interesting perspective and I hear this all the time in my forums. You'd think work would be the primary stress source for most people, but that's not always the case!

Dr. Melissa Read

I always set aside at least a few minutes to read a book NOT related to school each night. I also work in the yard during the warmer months. Meditation has been very helpful and can be done almost anywhere.

I always take "me time." My children know that after work I need time to sit alone and unwind. Sometimes I listen to music... other times just plain silence would do.

Rosa, Glad to hear it. It's nice to know that you've set good expectations with your family members and they know what to expect out of your routine. Sometimes setting the right expectations is all it takes to get what you need to be successful and rested.

Dr. Melissa Read

I find that engaging in deep breathing exercises in a stressful situation is very immediate in decreasing symptoms of stress. Also, taking time every day to meditate for at least 5 minutes allows an individual to collect their thoughts, and cultivate calmness. Often times, I feel that people get so caught up in completing tasks daily, they begin to awareness of how they feel. Spending time alone, and meditating allows an individual to check in with themselves so they are cognizant of stressors. I feel that cultivating awareness is significant to identifying stressors.

Megan, It sounds like you have developed some fantastic coping mechanisms to deal with stress in your life. It's great to hear that you can rely on them so well. Yes, breathing and meditation are both wonderful ways to deal with stress. It's nice that they are such low impact methods too.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sign In to comment