Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reduce your stress Level

In all efforts to reduce your stress level in todays work world one of the things that is benifical is to BE PREPAIRED as much as you can in task you are trying to accomplish.

I have found being prepared is my salvation. Ensuring that everything is done BEFORE I get to class is key. I have also found that keeping time for ME is key also and knowing when to stop preparing for class and going to bed!

Jessica, Sounds like a great approach. It can feel great to get ahead of schedule. At the same time, I'm glad to hear you are taking time for you and not letting the problem of immediacy get the best of you.

Dr. Melissa Read

In order to reduce stress level take walks from your desk; use your off days for off days; be prepared to teach all your courses; be confident.

I am teaching BA218 Sports Marketing for the first time; my love of sports; and my MBA and staying ahead 2 weeks in advance and that usually is about right-no worries.

Yes I do lose sleep if I do not know what I am doing the next day in classes; therefore I always know for at least the next day; always be prepared for the next day; write notes to yourself; even if it is in your head; just be sure you know where you are going.

As an adjunct instructor, teaching is my second job after a full-time day job. I agree about the preparation, but I would also add that what works for me is to have a daily time (usually between my day job and classes) that I reserve for preparation, not errands, not dinner, not meeting students. This has been a huge benefit to me.

i could not agree more, i tend to make sure hand-outs, worksheets, tests are always prepared the day before.

Being prepared makes everything better...students are way more satisfied with the class if you are prepared..even if things dont run the way you planned.

Laura, Yes, I too love to be on top of things. It puts me in a better position to deal with the unexpected. Things often don't go as planned but when I plan ahead, everything is easier to manage.

Dr. Melissa Read

I totally agree with that statement. Nothing is worse than facing a classroom feeling disorganized and unprepared. Being organized gives the Instructor confidence and credibility to the student.

Well said!! We forget to take care of our own mental state sometimes!! I will take your advice!

Yes, preparation is essential to reducing stress level. In addition, try to be ready with all handouts, powerpoints, assignments, etc. at least 10-15 minutes before class so you are not rushing around. Inevitably something comes up--for example, a student or colleague wants to talk with you before class or you need to make a call or email someone, etc. Besides material preparation, I try to be prepared mentally for a good class session. I try to clear my mind of personal issues and focus on the task at hand.

It is true that being prepared makes the difference in an instructor's work load. Also, it is good to be preapred for the unexpected. For example: changing the way to teach a topic or adding a class activity in the middle of your lecture because you as instructor realize that students aren't understanding the topic or they are bored with the topic.

Agreed. Most stress seems to arise from things that are sprung upon us that we didn't prepare for. If we keep up-to-speed on our day-to-day workload then a new task won't be as stressful and we will find it easier to juggle.

Being prepared is great stress releaser not only for the instructor, but also for the students. Being organized is also vital to being prepared. Prior to my becoming a faculty member, I was in sales for three decades, and the kiss of death on a sales call was to walk in not prepared. I believe this also applies to the class room.

Yes, I agree with the importance of preparation. Entering a classroom knowing you are well prepared for the lesson can help quite a bit reducing stress.

Gregg, So true. I like hearing that you have transferred some of your learnings from the sales profession into your role as an instructor. In any position, we should always identify and leverage the transferable skills we gain.

Dr. Melissa Read

I "make" myself leave my desk during lunch time and even if it is for only 25 minutes. This time belongs to me, going on a walk, doing Yoga or other exercises. Very energizing and it clears my head!

Reducing your stress levels is very important in an effort to be an effective teacher. Stress can affect you in many ways. It can cause you to become sick and either miss class or not have the ability to give your class an energetic, happy and alert instructor willing to pass on his or her knowledge of the subject. What ever you need to do to reduce your stress within reason while at work is a great idea. Being prepared and confident is a great way to keep from being stressed.

Sign In to comment