Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Don't Reinvent the Wheel

I agree, if I may be of help to a fellow instructor, I would gladly provide to them my learning plans, sylabbi and lecture notes as some instructors have done for me. Lastly, prior to instructing from a new edition, I automatically request from the vendor any/all teaching materials that may come along with that particular book. Quick, concise and to the point. Isn't life great???

I too would offer my materials for a co-worker. One thing I have experienced is that some schools when hiring a new instructor don't have any of that back up information and want the instructor to literally build the course from the ground up. As a school director I feel it is imperative to support your staff members and don't in so many words throw them to the dogs without any assistance. The more organized and black and white a school can have their curriculum all the better for everyone.

I am all for streamlining certain parts of the education process. For example, I believe that all necessary files for a course, should be downloaded on the computer in which the class will be taught. As such, the instructor would just need to know where to go to access the appropriate course material. Therefore, if there is an instructor change, then the new instructor does not need to download the material again.

David, I like your thinking. It sounds like you are developing systems that can help streamline your own activities as well as those around you. If more instructors operated with your mindset, our work lives would be much easier. Perhaps your contributions will encourage others.

Dr. Melissa Read

I completely understand where you are coming from on this. My only concern is that when a new instructor comes in and is handed everything, they tend to be less likely to spend the time it takes to "study" the material they are tasked with teaching. It's a "catch 22" in my eyes.

I am a new instructor and have found some solace in borrowing my coworkers PPTs; however, it is difficult to use someone else's work as you did not think through it initially and it is not what you would want- so it's a bit of a challenge. I usually end up modifying it quite a bit, but it probably takes less time than building it from scratch I'm sure.

I did not realize all of the resources out there for instructors-contacting the publishers, etc. I will definitely do that for some of my upcoming courses!

i find taking ideas from different instructors for activitys is a big help and ofter goes well

Makes sense to me. As a Course Director as well as an instructor, I manage files of lesson plans, syllabi, and read-aheads. I build on each iteration that courses are delivered. I can refine classes according to student feedback if necessary. Though each term is a new experience with new students, the course content becomes better and better, building on each succeeding group.

Alyson, Excellent to hear. I have a feeling you will benefit greatly by this approach. Yes, to your point, it is often not possible to use other instructors' materials without modification. You can be far more effective if you take them, internalize them and adapt them to your own needs.

Dr. Melissa Read

William, So true! It is wonderful to be able to refine your course content over the years. I like to take a few things into consideration. One is feedback from my students. Their reactions to course material tell me a lot about their learning needs and ways that I can improve. The second thing is updates in my field. It's nice to make sure you are always on top of the latest and incorporating that into your materials.

Dr. Melissa Read

I accept everything from my colleagues and use them to help encourage my students in our program and modify as needed to stream line it.

I like to feel that I am always a learner - books, online, from other instructors - whatever helps to improve my presentation, materials and help students.

Faith, Some of us are simply lifelong students. It's great to hear that you've chosen to focus on learning topics that will enhance your career. Note it's ok to explore other topics too. Learning a new instrument, language or art can be a wonderful outlet too.

Dr. Melissa Read

I love when instructors bounce ideas off of one another and share material. It is such great teamwork and everyone feels that the course/program is OUR's not mine. It makes for a great learning experience for the students.

I've gotten materials from previous professors for all the classes I teach and have found them instrumental in the success of the class. It has helped me streamline and avoid pitfalls in subject flow and attainability.

James, What a great approach. Professors who have taught your course before are often a goldmine of class materials! Leaning on them the first time you teach a class can give you a major turbo boost.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sign In to comment