Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

time and stress management

I suspect that stress is not only controllable as it develops if/when we are able to recognize the symptoms, and we can.
I feel that stress is reversable when we take charge. one can stop stressing by using relaxation, meditation. and looking at the positive as opposed to the negative in any and all situations and scenarios. such as running a tight ship,(meaning) establish classroom rules and priorities and by allowing the students comply to our protocol because they want to. the class will run more smoothly and stress will disapear.

I think that relieving some of the stress may come from taking to much control. Sometimes running a tight ship doesn't always foster great development. Especially with adult learners, we have to "yes" set rules and expectations. But adults have to feel they have an opinion. Now we as instructors should help by being prepared and organized will allow us to be stress free and more confident in our deliverance to our class.

Yes, when we invest a little in up-front preparation, it does help us with confidence and delivery in the classroom. When we are not organized, we often create more work for ourselves as we try to manage through the day.

I agree stress the actual definition : uneccessdary worry over a situation you have no control over. As an instructor you can easily become especially during final exams and skills. However makingo to do lists and maintaining you goals throughout the day will alleviate the stress.

Yes, sometimes we do worry unnecessarily Carla. It is important to make sure we are focused and driven as instructors. At the same time, it's wise to make sure we don't drive ourselves crazy with thoughts of work.

I agree that some stress comes with too much control. As long as we are as prepared as we can be in our lesson plans, etc some stress should go away.

I agree with the "tight ship" I think that my classes run alot smoother when everything is layed out before the student

your point of complying and wanting to is well taken...

when the class is in synch everyone is less stressed...planning planning is critical

allowing students to state their expectations and yours allows for a win win..

let them be part of the process....

suspect that stress is not only controllable as it develops if/when we are able to recognize the symptoms, and we can.
I feel that stress is reversable when we take charge. one can stop stressing by using relaxation, meditation. and looking at the positive as opposed to the negative in any and all situations and scenarios. such as running a tight ship,(meaning) establish classroom rules and priorities and by allowing the students comply to our protocol because they want to. the class will run more smoothly and stress will disapear.

Definitely. The more information and structure I can provide up front, the easier it is for the student.

I agree, I have a few basic classroom rules that I stick to and it eliminated a lot of the stress that I had when I began teaching and thought I had to fight for their attention. Now I make it clear what I expect and they comply.

At the beginning of each new module, I lay out the rules of conduct and professionalism as to how the class will be ran, and what is expected from each student as to "rules".

Now as an elective instructor, I don't see students until they have at least 33 weeks of instruction behind them, so they know all the "campus rules" already, but still they like to push the envelope per se.

So with that out of the way, should a student have an issue and usually this issue is of the students creation (or lack of) I put it back on them as to how they (inadvertently "we") will get it resolved, ownership is something I stress with all my students, i.e. the lack of planning on your part does not constitute and emergency on my part.

Darrell, I like how you've developed specific rules but also have thought carefully about the kinds of students you teach. Students vary so much by institution, grade level and even the disciplines they choose to study. Understanding your unique target audience can help you most effectively communicate with them and drive your desired outcomes from them.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sign In to comment