Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Computerized Gradebook

The college where I teach has always had a computerized gradebook. Its very hard to imagine that a college do not have computerized gradebooks. Imagine if you have 26 students in you class and you have to break out your calculator to do the grades. Think about the time that it will take to this. As stated in the module "Using Technology modern technologhy can really help save time in teaching."

Computerized gradebooks are very helpful. I use them to build lab groups to ensure each group has acedemic diversity

I am also lucky to work with a computerized gradebook. This was developed by a co-worker along with my director which saves so much time and much, much easier. It is a great tool to monitor how the students are doing and will enable us to counsel about grades accordingly.

Yes, institutions are evolving these days Pandora. Some have more advanced technologies than others. We've got to work with what we have.

That's an excellent strategy David. I like how you are using organizational tools to also enhance the classroom environment. That's great to hear.

My college is in the process of switching to an online grade book. We have been using it for about a year but it is now required to use it. We still take a few extra minutes to fill out a paper grade book just in case something happens to the online version but just having the online figure out a running grade for each student is saving so much time compared to having to figure out the grade by hand it is worth it. Don't want to think back to the way I use to do it in the olden days and the amount of time spent doing it all by hand!

Sometimes having a backup paper copy can be handy Mark. It's good that you keep good records but that you're also transitioning to a more efficient system.

I have worked for schools both with and without the computerized grade book. The time that having a computerized format is irreplaceable, and saves times in so many ways.

The computerized gradebook I use is Engrade, which offers assignment and exam scheduling, grade recording and computation, attendance, email messaging, and other features. It provides students with easy access to their grades and instructor. A great convenience.

Thanks for sharing Ron! Sounds like a wonderful resource and one that other instructors could benefit from as well. I particularly like the easy access to grades feature. Very nice and helpful in that grade communication can be so time consuming.

We use a computerized online gradebook called engrade: www.engrade.com. It is free and the students can access their grades constantly and they can email the instructor through the website. It is easy to use and a huge timesaver.

My institution has an online electronic grade book and it sure saves time. Hooray for technology.

The calculations of the grades is feature I also like. Being able to print current progress reports, seeing averages of certain tests, and generating tutoring tickets and advising forms are also great features for the EGB my campus uses.

My college has nothing in place for instructors (yet...I'm hoping for Blackboard someday here) in terms of gradebooks.

I voluntarily went online with www.engrade.com this last term on the recommendation of a colleague, it has been a LIFESAVER.

Before I was using a beast of a spreadsheet and if I wanted to email the students, god help me I'd have to type all their emails individually.

Now...Final grades are in, emailed the class to check it out and it's done! Added bonus: those pesky OCD students that constantly ask what their grade is now or was on that test and can't wait until progress reports or work is returned - they are out of my hair because they know they can check the status of the grading anytime.

My college has nothing in place for instructors (yet...I'm hoping for Blackboard someday here) in terms of gradebooks.

I voluntarily went online with www.engrade.com this last term on the recommendation of a colleague, it has been a LIFESAVER.

Before I was using a beast of a spreadsheet and if I wanted to email the students, god help me I'd have to type all their emails individually.

Now...Final grades are in, emailed the class to check it out and it's done! Added bonus: those pesky OCD students that constantly ask what their grade is now or was on that test and can't wait until progress reports or work is returned - they are out of my hair because they know they can check the status of the grading anytime.

Sign In to comment