Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Task Prioritization

Think about the tasks that are most important and urgent for you to complete. Do you usually choose to accomplish these tasks right away or do you tend to put these tasks off for another time? Based on what you have learned in this module about task prioritization, will you change the order in which you accomplish important and urgent tasks in the future?

I find that if it is a task I enjoy or don't mind doing I will work on it cam plete the task right away. If it is something that may be more time consuming or mundane I tend to put it off. to do lists do work very well, you can see exactly what needs to be done and you can prioritize.

I do need to change the priority of some tasks. I need to really think about the tasks and whether the prioritization is correct. At times I knowingly put a couple of easy tasks first to make myself feel better, and that I'm actually accomplishing something. When I do that I have to be careful not the sabotage myself by leaving too many involved tasks for the end.

Sharon, Like many people, instructors often engage in tasks that we enjoy first. It's natural to seek these tasks out and procrastinate the rest. To your point, the challenge is often pushing ourselves to do the less desirable tasks in a timely manner.

Dr. Melissa Read

Joanne, So true. It's tempting to just knock several easy tasks out of our queue and to push off the more time consuming things. To get around this, some instructors have found success in breaking large tasks into smaller chunks. The smaller chunks feel a lot more manageable and are more attractive to complete.

Dr. Melissa Read

Patricia, Totally understand where you are coming from. It's nice to always feel like we are on top of things. At the same time, some instructors struggle with immediacy. It's hard for them to put tasks down and enjoy life. If you're one of them, consider taking breaks every now and then just to treat yourself. You may find you are more productive when you return.

Dr. Melissa Read

I have a system that currently is working for me, as a task presents itself I complete it and move on to the next urgent task. I think the trick to it all is not to let yourself procrastinate.

Stephen, Thanks for sharing. This system likely works well when you don't have too many tasks coming into your queue. As your task list grows however, you might consider prioritizing a little to keep on top of the most important things.

Dr. Melissa Read

Thank you for your input Dr. Read. I think as my work load does increase I must proiritize but at a subconscious level. Maybe because of the repetitive nature of the work that comes across my desk?

Stephen, You make a good point about repetitive work. It can be a little easier to process as we are often more efficient. For too many tasks in the queue however, prioritization is still most effective.

Dr. Melissa Read

The tasks most important to me I proiritize in ordr of importance. I space them out over a time period so they are completed in a timely manner. I will continue doing this as it works best for me and is reccommended by this course.

Some soul searching makes me think that my personality as an artist and art instructor is such that I spend an inordinate amount of time and unnecessarily prolong tasks that I enjoy. However, using these "unending" projects can be an excuse for warding off tasks that challenge and test me anew. After all, I can use the excuse that I am "too busy" to tackle what may turn out to be potentially disagreeable. Opening time to tackle new tasks that make me nervous and the unknown aspect of facing new challenges can in the long run be self-defeating. Thinking of "to do lists" as a way of putting parameters over the completion of a project, and opening myself up to the satisfaction of task completion and seeing these as "rewards" is quite an insight for me.

I have found for myself in the classroom it is quite easy to set priorities. outside of the classroom I have struggled at times with achieving what I needed to do. I do make a list when I feel that I am not getting things done. sorting by have too's and want too's. has worked well for me.

It's easy to get overwhelmed in this day and age. More is expected in lesser time. Keep one's priorities straight and do the best we can.

After taking this course I fear that I tend to lean toward the obstacle of Immediacy. I used to be a procrasinator and have changed to the extreme. I am going to make an effort to change so that I will not get so tired. I will prioritize better.

Kesa, Excellent plan. Sounds like you have the right approach already in place. My best recommendation for instructors in this situation is to just go with it.

Dr. Melissa Read

Cynthia, Yes, from your comments, it sounds like you are really on top of things. This is great but can burn us out if we use this approach long term. Every now and then, people who struggle with immediacy should stop and try enjoy life too.

Dr. Melissa Read

Elizabeth, So true. As instructors, we are often asked to do more with less. Over time, this gets tough. We want to give our students the best we can. With limited resources, we can only do so much.

Dr. Melissa Read

George, Interesting. Some instructors are good at prioritizing in one setting (e.g. work) but not another (e.g. personal). Sounds like you might be able to relate. People like this often compartmentalize their home and work lives or focus primarily on one or the other.

Dr. Melissa Read

Edward, Excellent to hear. Yes, a to do list can be so rewarding and satisfying. To your point, you might be able to leverage some of the reinforcing aspects of this method to accomplish tasks that you find less desirable or that make you nervous.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sign In to comment