Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Stress reduction

I believe it is important to "self-prioritize", i.e. to make time for yourself to allow relaxation and stress reduction. I was recently saddled with a schedule that had me teaching a split shit at odd times throughout the day. At first i was chagrinned, but then I made the most of the downtime by scheduling a regular workout at the gym. It has been a great stress reducer.

Having a good sense of time management is helpful in so many ways. Through using time to your advantage, one can acheive all the tasks on a " to do list and still have enough personal time.

I would agree. Once I organized my schedule and proritozed the things that were important, I accomplished a lot more.

having a task list will keep you focused on what needs to be finished.

manger your time according to the day's events in the order of the event and all down time so it to take the time to check the order of your dayto help in the succes of the day to release the stress

It is imparative to "self-prioritize" I find that as I get older this becomes even more evident of a task to perform to remain successful in my career.

I find that if I have free time and do some exercise by walking and running. this way I can reduce my stress and then be able to back to work or school refreshed and relaxed

Sound like a great method Kathy! If you wear the right shoes, you can even go walking on your lunch break or in between classes. Walking with friends in the field is a great outlet too because you can share at the same time.

So true Chris. We've got to be proactive when it comes to our time and our careers. Only we know the true priority of each task we take on. You also really do get better with time - to your point.

I agree with walking with friends. I recently found a great pair of walking shoes that look like dress shoes. I believe they are made by Dockers. I walk everywhere on campus because it gets me out of the box and in to the fresh air where I can allow my thoughts to wander freely.

I used to put a lot of pressure on "getting the most out of a workout" so i didn't feel like I was wasting time. This just made the whole thought of exercising very intimidating and instead of being a stress reliever, it became a source of stress. I would feel like I wouldn't have enough time for a "complete workout" so I wouldn't do it and would get stressed EVEN MORE! Realizing that 15 minutes is better than not at all has helped me reduce the pressure of working out and has actually helped me exercise more.

I agree, finding downtime is very important. I too had a long break between classes last term and found that to be a great time to get extra work done so I didn't have to on the weekend. Plus I spent many days in skills classes working with students who needed extra help which is always rewarding.

Having a rewarding task to complete can really help with stress Jamie. Just knowing you are really helping your students is often enough to carry you through the tough days.

Dr. Melissa Read

I find that actually leaving the classroom during breaks helps to releive stress.

I have found that a simple yoga pose or even just finding a a few minutes to look out a window or go outside, if accopmlished 2X day is great at stress reduction!

Peggy, Wonderful to hear. Yes, a few minutes a day can make a dramatic difference for many instructors. It's about finding that one or two things that really relax you and incorporating them into your daily routine. Sounds like you've done just that!

Dr. Melissa Read

I agree. By creating time to complete tasks allows for time to relax as well. As opposed to procratinating and not accomplishing anything.

My wife had the same problem. The 1 HOUR MAXIMAZATION of her time at the gym.. It was counterproductive because it became a task!

I do agree, that it is extremely important to "self-prioritize." I was recently asked to teach the afternoon and night shift, after being hired to teach the mornings and afternoon shift. At first I too was relectuant to teaching nights. As you did, I made the most of the downtown and I will be taking all my doctor appointments, eye appointments, dental appointments, and spending more time at my children's school. I am now greatful that I am able to teach the night class, for hopefully only one mod. It will be a great stress reducer because I don't have to take off of work and worry about someone covering my class for me.

I've also found that exercise helps quite a lot. I have very short breaks throughout the day, but I've been running during one of them. It also means that I have to organize my other breaks to accommodate this, and helps my day flow a little better.

Sign In to comment