Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Classroom motivation

How do you motivate adults that are in their mid-fourties and equally motivate a student who is twenty? When both are at the same level of learning.

Yes Marsha, some students may not be cognitively age competent for their age.  Once you assess how each student best learns, then you can adapt your teaching style/s to them.  Not easy, very time consuming, however you can watch the growth of each student at his/her own learning curve.  Amazingly in the end, we all end up in the same place. :)

Thank you for the feedback Sharly. I presume this is over a week or more, figuring out which learning goes into which catagory. My consern has always been in how to reach all types of learners in the short period of time of lecture hours.

Yes Marsha, it is totally difficult at times to reach all students in the short periods of our terms.  When I first introduce myself to the students at the beginning of each term, I express to them the resources we have for them to seek out and utilize on their own time schedules beyond our short class periods with them.  Further, I use different types of Teaching Styles with the indent to reach All Types of Learners.  For example, visual, verbal, written and overhead.  Class Projects for credit points help as well.  Hope this helps.  Good Luck.

Sharyl

All students are trying to reach an end goal and that is to learn similar material in order to pass or graduate with the same degree.  Though each student is different, the way you reach that end goal encompasses a variety of ways to teach a particular student in a way that he or she will understand the material correctly.  There are different types of learners and as an instructor you should be able to see that and make changes according to the class structure.

As many have said before me on this subject, knowing your students and what motivates them, learing styles and trying to use a number of different ways to teach, helps keep all the students motvated as it all freash to them no matter what thier age.

Fortunatley, I am a Culinary Arts Instructor and the topic of food continues to motivate all ages of students.

Keep the content relevant to all age groups if possible. And draw the talent and experiences from all age groups as well.

MSW 

I found this module helpful when it was talking about taking into consideration the various age groups that come in and what they might be feeling. I had forgotten that kids out of high school are still trying to fit in with their peers. My biggest frustration with my first class here has been the misuse of cell phones. They are like an appendage to these young students. Am learning to deal better each day with them.

Anyone have suggestions on cell phone usage during class time?

I have a sign on the door as they walk in it reads- you aare entering a proffessional zone, and list the things you dont want them to have.

I write a quote on the board every day to motive the students.  One of my favorate is By Abraham Lincoln, "the best way to predict the future is to create it."  I believe that it takes courage to go to college and a little inspiration goes a long way.

older adults usually have kids that are in college or getting ready to go to college and one way to motivate this group is helping them to set an example for their kids by doing well for themselves.

Sign In to comment