Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

students who dont care

sometimes I only want to care as much as my students care...

When I run into students who don't care, i normally try to find a strength of theirs and build it up. Once that is done, most of the time the student learns to trust me and slowly begins to care.

Valerie,
This is the human factor in education and is so important. Knowing their learning leader has confidence in them and their abilities goes a long way in helping to stay engaged.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree, you have to build on the little you have. If they really did not care they would not be present. If you have a body in the chair attack.

Once rapport is developed, it might be a good idea to get to the root of the " I don't care" attitude. This way, motivating them will be a lot easier.

Latoya,
I agree because if they keep this attitude they are not going to be successful nor engaged.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

"I don't care" is infectious given enough time one students bad attitude will spread to other students who listen to it during breaks or in labs, it needs to be addressed early..

CHRISTOPHER,
Encounter this all the time and as a result have to work very hard to overcome it so it will not spread to the entire class. By getting the students to see the value of the content and how it will be applied to their career development you can win some over. In other situations the personal connection works. For others, nothing works and this is when I ask them to consider dropping and going into another area because I will not let their negative attitude impact the learning of those that want to be there.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have found that a little encouragement DOES go a long way and that some students just need to hear "good job" once in a while and that I don't care attitude seems to disappear

We all have been there!! Sometimes it takes control of you and you cant motivate anyone. Sometimes you have to look and say "I will not let this effect me" and move on.

Sometimes you experience students who act like they don't care, or maybe they really don't care. I find it hard to believe that a person can sit in class day after day and truly not care, but they are out there. With those students, I tend to assign them classroom tasks, like working the video equipment, turning out the light, or even the scorekeeper during games and other activities. I find that this engages them and motivates them.

A few years ago, I encountered a class that challenged all of my teaching and motivational skills. I had been teaching for almost 20 years but was no match for the pessimism and apathy in the class.  It got me thinking a lot, so next semester I started the year very differently.  (I taught English at a career college where nobody wanted to take it.) I spent the entire first class talking about expectations, motivation ("why are you here?") and what it would take to succeed in the class. The #1 thing to improve their skill: CARE. I emphatically told them that I would work my hardest to help them learn and grow....but I cannot work harder than they do! (I learned this from my therapist husband as it's an important tenant in therapy.) It was revolutionary to me and my students, it's THEIR education and I can't force them to learn, but instead of resigning to the fact, I challenged them...and they accepted! I also incorporated the inspiring and humbling message of Dr. Randy Pausch's "Last Lecture" so they could find the intrinsic reasons why they are there and to be proud of their work. I think back on what a gift that "bad" class was for me because they made me a better teacher.

@cburgesspc : @cburgesspc :  I agree must be addressed  quickly with a positive outcome before the problem escalates.  Sometimes it is a outside problem that makes the student feel this way and has nothing to do with your school. Best discussed one on one and you must be sincere at listening so the student can trust you and truly tell you why he feels that way.                        

@djasak :   Yes and that encouragement should be provided frequently. Students will respect you more, and be more motivated to work harder. There is nothing like positive feedback from the instructor that is honest and genuine. Even small steps forward followed by encouragement for some students can work wonders for ther motivation.

wow oh wow, yes sometimes I only want to care as much as my students!  Presently I am teaching an introduction to Baking class to Culinary students, by the way the culinary student has a low interest in baking.  I recently asked one of my students, whay are you coming here?  The response was because I want to learn to cook at home, and Chef, I am insulted you asked me that.  My response was that in a prior class this student was more motivated and had much better attendance, the student's response was, I f***** hate this class and have no desire to bake, I told him no I am offended by that, he replied well I guess that makes us even.

In dealing with subject material that students have no / low interest in is on of the most difficult challanges an educator can have.  The statement of "teach with you head on fire" could be any closer to the truth.  Keeping interest, relating the subject matter to real life applications anything that can spark encouragement to captivate the student audience is key.  If not a good stiff drink at the end of the day will help.  =]

Sign In to comment