Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Life experience

In some field, life experience could only motivate the students if you can show the relationship between the past and the future.

As a chef instructor, when I am able to talk about the “real world” that the students will be facing after school they always pay attention so if I am trying to make a point I do my best to try and find a personal experience from my past that I know they will encounter in the future.

I tell my students who are in a medical assistant, limited x-ray program about my past experiences and what motivated me to get into x-ray. Having had a car accident and multiple fractures I decided to find out what was causing me so much pain in an x-ray room! It brings a bit of humor to the class and a reason I chose my field.

Hi Bronwen,
Great example of why you are in the field. Sorry to hear how you arrived at your career choice. Sure your students really enjoy hearing your story and enjoying a laugh at your expense. Thanks for sharing this story with us.
Gary

Yes, I find that by sharing some of my personal experiences with the students,they become intuned with the topic.

I always tell real life stories about me. I tell them how I make adjustments to learn off my mistakes and how it made me a better worker.

I use diagnostic instruments during different areas of learning topics..these instruments are a springboard for life stories to be shared. By doing this the students see a connection between the concept being shared and their own experiences. I like this because often the complaints I hears about 4 years colleges is the student doesn't know why they studied a topic- this helps make the connection.

Hi Eloise,
Good point. Knowing this information really helps an instructor to zero in on the learning needs of students. You can use their understanding of the value of your course as a springboard to increase motivation by showing application and relevancy.
Gary

I think life experience make for good discussion especially with younger students.

Hello:

I have found that the more I can relate to real-world experience the more chance the students will want to learn more. I assimilate the topics to work environmental conditions. If the student can see how to apply this to the office then they become more interested in the concepts.

I AGREE WITH YOU CATHERINE THAT STUDENTS ENJOY HEARING REAL LIFE EXPERIENCES AND THATHELPS THEM APPLY WHAT THEY HAVE LEARNED AND WHAT TO EXPECT IN TEH REAL WORLD.

Sharing life experiences helps the student to learn about the things going on in the field and how they be better eqipped to face those challenges.

Sign In to comment