Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students who can't put in enough extra time due to work

I have had many students that fall behind because they have constraining jobs. I have encouraged them to find more flexible jobs if they are serious about their new career. Any thoughts on how to aproach this scenario?

Hi Jacob,
A real tough question. The constraining jobs may be paying the bills to keep the students financially stable. On the other hand the constraining jobs are keeping them from succeeding in their new career training areas.
A strategy that I have used in the past is to set down with each student and go through the pros and cons of the current job, the future opportunities and then try and create a path they can follow to complete their training. Generally we can work something out that will enable the stuents to succeed. In other cases they decided that their current job is more important than their training and they stick with it. In this case they do know that you have tried to help them and that you are available should they try and come back and secure their desired training. It keeps the door open.
Gary

I also have had many students fall behind because of family, job, ect. What I have found is that if you show them you care about there situation and are willing to work with them they will complet the class.

Hi Ed,
Caring is an important part of teaching. If you are a marginal student but you know that instructor cares about your success you will stay with the class for a much longer period of time. We all like to know someone cares about us.
Gary

I have had the same problem as Jacob. I ask the student to see if they can find a job in the field they are studying. If they have to work, why not get real world ezperience. I also find that they have absolutely no skills in Time Management. I work w/them on a schedule that reflects their day. If there is too much social time involved, I tell them that there will be no slack cut. It is an adult world and now is the time to learn how to live in it. For my older students, most know what the problem is and I will work any angle to help them solve it. Unless they are just plain lazy, the student knows what to do to get the work finished...they just needed a little positive re-enforcement.

Mac

Indeed, positive reinforcement works.

As you said, most students know what the problems are and know how to fix them... they just don't want to bite the bullet. That's where we come in; they just want to hear from someone else what they already know.

On getting students to get jobs in related fields, yes I feel that's the best way to go as they'll be working on "retention" while they work.

Interestingly enough, some students aren't willing to get an industry job while in school. Can't explain that one.

I feel for the ones who are between a rock and a hard place. It's also tough on us as instructors as we can start edging over the line from "motivator" to psychologist/therapist/family counselor. Now that's uncomfortable.

Dan.

Hi Dan:
You zeroed in one a couple of key points - treading the fine line between teacher/motivator and psychologist/therapist, and the problem getting students to have the discipline to make those tough decisions. It's tough to define that line between being their teacher and friend to being their confidant and intimate (in terms of telling you their problems). Many of my students feel, I think, like they have no one else to talk to, so we, their teachers, get perhaps a little more of the "babydaddy drama" than some others. And honestly, it's that kind of drama that interfers and creates the other drama (the missed assignments and absenteeism), so in a way, we have to deal with that, at least peripherally. Just knowing that they have someone who cares about their problems can mean the difference between success and failure in school, so I try to be there for all my students, even if it is to just listen to their drama and say I have no clue how to help. Just talking it out can help them find their own solutions, so I am very hesitant to cut off any kind of discussion with my students (short of inappropriate discussions of sexuality and illegal activities).
As for making them "bite the bullet" and make tough decisions, show them just once the rewards of making that tough decision, and you've not only helped them for the moment, you've taught them a life skill that will serve them well in business and life. Making those kinds of tough decisions is a part of the maturation process, and school is a place where the ramifications of wrong decisions can be mitigated (with help form a few flexible and understanding teachers who realize their job is to make their students successful, not just teach the materials in the text).

John

If the desire is really there, students will find the time. I personally got through an MBA program taking care of infants, having a commission only job and being a single dad. It was tough, but I knew the work would be worth it, and it was.

Bill

Hi Bill,
Great personal story. Desire and motivation help people achieve at levels not thought possible.
I am sure your students benefit from your story as well.
Thanks for sharing.
Gary

I would recommend getting together with that student and sit down and help them setup some type of time management schedule that will work for them. Just taking the time out of your schedule shows them that you have empathy for what they are going through and eases their fear that they can do it!

Keeping the door open is the key. Being financially stable is all important but usually if the school will work with the student that must remain employed they will find a way to combine work and school on their own. The course work may be so important to their future earning ability that it would make sence for them to give up the job to complete the school. This requires some very solid counseling on the part of the school.

Listening to them just a bit of understanding and letting them know it will be ok

There are some occasions where the student cannot change jobs because the job is paying for the schooling. The student should try to talk his/her supervisor to see if there are any time allowances that could be made to ensure success in the course.

we're living in a fast paced world young students have babies sitting down and talking helping to set up a time schedule try talking to the employer and reliable baby sitter what ever it takes

This is a real concern. Schools do not want the student to work, but the student has to pay bills and needs to eat. I was in this situation as well. I share with my students that they need to find the balance in their lives. Work, study, sleep, family. Often friends get the short end during school. I know when I went for my MSN/Ed, I worked, taught PT on 2 faculty and had multiple volunteer obligations including sitting on 2 boards. I kept up the pace until school was completed, then was sick for 2 months. This is not the way. School 4 or 5 days a week, work an evening and all day Saturday. Rest and family on Sunday. One needs the day away. Seek that balance. Please avoid telling students because I moved the mountain, you can and should, remeber we are all different people. I think we can inspire without judging our students and their choices, even if we would not make the same choices.

Michael,
Excellent advice based upon your own experience as you were going through school. Our culture is so short term and immediate in terms of satisfaction that we push our kids, ourselves and our students to the point that no one is benefiting. I recommend that all students build some down time into their lives each week so they can recharge their physical and mental batteries and be ready for the next week.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sign In to comment