Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Can one be motivted by another?

In college psychology, many years ago, it was said a person cannot motivate another: one can only introduce a stimulus into the environment for the subject to be motivated by his/her own value system. Motivation therefore is an internal process. I have found this to be true. While we all may have shared motivational triggers as others we respond to ours and ours alone. If I have little use or care little for external recognition then introducing it into the learning or work environment will have little or no affect on my efforts. However if I crave recognition by others offering the opportunity to achieve it will affect my efforts greatly.
So to "motivate" a student is then to know what the student craves, desires or considers important to him/herself. Then introduce it into the learning environment. Since we all have differing motivational factors multiple stimuli must be presented to a class.

Hi Michael,
There are different schools of thought concerning internal and external motivation. My position is that I am going to do everything I can to help my students achieve the goals they have set for themselves. I will be a cheerleader, cattle herder, and task master to help them along. The final results do rest with the students. An instructor has to work on finding the keys to motivation for students. I use multiple intelligence assessments that gives me insight into how students process information and work with others. This really helps with the motivation factor for everyone.
Gary

I find this to be SOOO true. I teach a group of students that are "tough-luck" students...good luck trying to motivate a person that has to internak motivation to do anything more than just "barely get by!"

I think of our students needs for motivation individually. Some students are focused all the way through the program and stay motivated without problem. These students could probably do an exercise program by themselves. Others, need to have that daily support so that when things go wrong in their lives outside, they dont give up on what their inside goals are. We buddy them up with someone else and we stay in touch with the student constantly. Especially when we know that there are external factors in play taking their focus elsewhere.

I think that yes, definately, one can be motivated by another. However, I also agree with you Suzanne that we do have to look at the students as individuals. There are definately those students that need support from the instructor almost always, and then their are those students that allow nothing to get in their way. I too like to put students together as buddies, it certainly helps their support system also.

Dr. Meers,

Your description of what it takes to keep the students motivated provides a twist when setting a "job description" for instructors.

Whatever we need to do in order to motivate our students needs to be put into play. Ultimately, as you mentioned, it is up to the student(s).

However, if in our motivation, we compliment the student and offer encouragement to them, the light goes on that they can can accomplish various tasks.

How the information is presented (being sure to include various learning styles) motivates instructors. When the students see this, they jump on the band wagon. When we become bored or lackadasical, the students pick up on that right away and could care less.

That is when we are careless.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,
Good comments about how the instructor is a major player in keeping the motivation level high in the class.
You mentioned that instructors can't become lackadasical in the approach. What are some things you do to prevent that from happening to you that you would be willing to share with others?
Thanks.
Gary

Hi Linda, I agree with you that definitely one can be motivated by another. Also your buddy idea is great. Also I love to set an example with my enthusiasm for what I teach and by continuing to learn myself. I let my students know that I don't know everything and I show them the ways I find answers.

So...here's the deal as I see it. Yes motivation is an internal process, like knowing whether you are hungry or not. But if I keep showing you pictures of well prepared foods, or better yet...let you smell some fajatias on one of those hot plates.... I can motivate you to feel hungry even if you had just eaten. \
Having said that...nothing is 100 %
I think instructors can motivate students though many ways. One of the ways I try to do it is to be excited about my subject. This is just natural for me since I teach audio production and that is something that I have enjoyed doing since I was a teenager. I like doing it wheather I get paid for it or not.
I have received many student/ instructor evaulations that have said (in one way or another) "this instructor is so into audio (his subject) that he makes it contagious."

Hi Mike,
Good comments. Yes motivation is internal but external stimulus is needed to maintain it. This is why your students give you high evaluations and like your courses. The example I always think of is driving the speed limit. Internally I am motivated to abide by the speed limit and for the most part I do, but on occasion when I don't the external takes over when I see a radar trap. It is at that time behavioral changes start to occur quickly to avoid the consequences.
Gary

I saw one of my older students trying to motivate a younger student by offering to help her study.
I think if they keep this buddy system up it will be very motivating for the younger student.

It seems that there are times when I question the practical application of a student that only becomes motivated via contagious instructors and falls flat when left to their own devices. Our preparation for the workplace seems unfair in this light, where employers will rarely (if ever!) provide any cheerleading or herding. I have found that if I try to hand off the proverbial torch of enthusiasm that only a portion of the class carries it while the rest are unwilling to invest more energy and enthusiasm. Should we resposibly meter this out to be responsible to their post-graduation expectations?

Jason,
Good question to raise. I do work at encouraging students that are on the bubble of success or failure. I try to be careful in my praise to make sure it is earned and valued. You are right about the workplace and encouragement so I emphasize that students have to be self starters and internally motivated out in the workplace. If they aren't then they are not going to be successful.
Gary

Sign In to comment