Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The enemy is boredom!

Participation is the key to a vibrant class. Each class has it's own characteristics but they all become board if we do not refocus ourselves, our delivery and the students participation methods. One day for terminology we might play hangman and another day Scrabble using only industry terms. The focus and refocus must be on satisfying the student needs in the most efficient effective and participative manner possible.

Hi Michael,
I agree! I like to go as far as student led demonstrations. This really changes things up, shows a level of trust and gives the advanced learners the opportunity to pair up with and mentor the more challenged learners. Latter the others can switch and demonstrate their newly mastered skill for the group that led the first round of demonstrations

Hi Michael,
I think that using games and other activities to get students involved is a very good idea. The competition is always good, the students involved, and learning is high. That is what instruction is all about. Keep up the good work.
Gary

I agree. There are times when we as the instructors must revamp our methods of delivery to adjust to the various learning abilities brought in by our students. The objectives may always be the same but the creativity supplied should always be adjustable.

I agree, boredom is with out a doubt the worst thing to have in a classroom.

Hi Richard,
What do you do in your classes to combat boredom? Do you have some activities or examples that you would be willing to share?
Thanks.
Gary

I love the idea of student led demonstrations. I have always found that the most effective way to learn something in depth is to teach it to someone else.

Hi Matthew,
So do I. There are a host of reasons for using student led demonstrations. Since you are using them I won't list them but each of the reasons help to contribute to a motivated involved class. This is what teaching is all about.
What are some of the benefits you see from using student let demonstrations in your classes?
Gary

I love your ideas!!! I give crossword puzzles and word searches for some of my technical terminology homeworks. My students love the change from the ordinary. Also my students really enjoyed making their own powerpoint presentations. They took it as a challenge and it empowered them.

I keep students involved in projects most of the day. They work individually or in groups and keep busy most of the day. I also like to tickle them when they are falling asleep. Ha ha. Just kidding.

Since my class is lecture driven, I try to change up my delivery and use props. If the class is about the touring industry, I will have DVDs showing how staging at rock concerts has changed through the years. If we're talking about artwork, I will bring in CDs and posters to illustrate how artwork is used in the music business.

Hi Patrick,
Great ideas! Thanks for sharing with the other instructors.
Gary

You are so right Participation is the secret to losing the boredom

I also beleive you must have the class participate, one way that works for me is I will ask each student one at a time to come up to the front of the class and write his or her answer on the board, so even if they are not up in front of the class they know their turn is comeing up and they are thinking of an answer.For example if we are talking about engine management I will ask them to think of a sensor for the P.C.M. Jay P.

Hi Deborah,
I also have power point assignments. The students are so advanced with their presentations that I learn how to update my own to keep them current with the audience. The students are extremely inventive and artistic, while staying focused with minimal print. I also have a Q&A after ach presentations in which the students explain how they prepared certain slides, i.e., moving objects, inserts of sounds, layering etc. Some students have new and advanced computers that other students are interested in, especially in regards to technology enhancement, or shall I say "bells and whistles."

If one pays too much attention to a perceived problem it can cause the problem to "grow legs" and get much greater than it really is . . . i.e. catering to that one or two students whom are showing no interest in the subject or material of the day. This can cause you to re-focus on non-target oriented concerns and get you off your game. I highly recommend that an instructor stay on target, cover what they need to then return to check comprehension. As long as I’m not bored, I won’t bore the students!

I like to play Electrical feud with my class the day before finals and have fried chicken to eat. Helps bring students in for class review!!!

Hi Tom,
Good job on both counts--review game and fried chicken. What's not to like?
Gary

Sign In to comment