Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The classroom as a simulated Work Site

If you use your classroom as a simulated Work Site, how did you set it up and how do you evaluate your students?

Hi Fred,
A simulated work site would be one that uses the current technology and equipment or practices as used in the field. The second part of the set up would be to have as course standards the same as those used by the training field. Also, the instructor would have as course requirements such things as proper dress for the field, effective use of time, etc. All those things that will be required of successful workers in the field.
Students would be evaluated through assessments of skill, knowledge and application just as they would in the field if they were working in it.
Gary

Hi Fred,

Since many employers require their employees to be able to work in a team enviornment, you can also set up a team situation in a class room.

The important factors are to have team goals, team decides on a leader, track progress and the teacher offers advise on collaborating and collective decision making. Also helps to have students provide feedback on how other student members of the team performed as a team member. This can be accomplished anonymously or thru open dialouge facilitated by the teacher.

I find that using my classroom as a simulated work site works extremely well. I think by doing this its helps ease their transition into the field. It also can give them another example of a real world experience. They tend to feel alittle more in control of the situation. It can also give me an evaluation of where they are at.

During the last two week courses, (three weeks long each) we put the students on a simulated timeclock with a certain set of skills to complete each day. We track their productivity and at the end of the week, we give them a symbolic paycheck based upon their performance. This really helps prepare them for the workplace environment.

Sign In to comment