Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Not focused students

I find the most difficult dealing with students have no goals and they are not focused to the studies.

Hi Abdullah,
These are the students that are in need of some focused career counseling as they are taking time from the instructor and are not making progress with their career development.
Gary

Student not focused because of unusually stressful circumstances:
Student has a violent autistic son, every month she is asked to relocate him to another facility.
Students husband is incarsarated.
Student is trying to work two jobs and make every attempt to come to school, however her attempts are futile.
My heart went out to her, as Director, I immediately changed her to part time two days per week. The following week, she was again asked to relocate her son to another school.
She called me very distraught, I immediately, and compassionately put her on a temporary leave, and told her she was still welcome to attend our friday lectures when ever she can.
On a business note, I could have sold her chair twice, fortunately I am in a position to be as accomodating as possible.
I got her some info on a program for incarserated spouses. I told her to inform Vocational Rehab (who funded her tuition) that she is on a temporary leave as she fears loosing her much needed benefits.
Am I on the right track? I feel this is cause for special dispensation from the school. Situationally had she not been making every attempt to come to school, I would have been more by the book. And yes, I was aware of her son upon interview and he was in a presumed safe enviornment. I hope I am on the right track with the questions! Thanks

I find that students that are required to attend class by parents or even the courts are the least motivated.

Finding a way to reach these students can be rewarding for the both of us.

Hi Teri,
What a difficult situation for this student. I have dealt with just such situations many times over the years. You are doing the right thing in keeping her connected to the school in some way. The suggestion about the Friday lectures if nothing else lets her know she is still a part of the school. Until she can work out her son's situation and stabilize her employment needs she is not going to be ready to be a student. This is going to take some time. By keeping her connected to the school you are giving her hope that one day she will be able to return and prepare for her career. This hope is very important to her at this time.
When she is ready and able she will return. If she doesn't you at least will feel that you have done all that you can do to help her with her life.
Keep the connection if at all possible.
Gary

Hi Patrick,
Hopefully during this time, when the students are there they will start to see a reason for being in school and value the training they are receiving. So there motivation will move from being external to internal. Many times the key to this is an instructor that develops rapport with them.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

I agree with you. Good report with the student shows that you are at least one person in their life that truly cares about their success. Care can be infectious in a positive manner.

James D.

Hi James,
Good comments about establishing student rapport. That connection with them is so important to keep them engaged and progressing in the course.
What are some of the techniques you use to establish rapport with your students?
Gary

One example is to send frequent emails to students, many of my emails are titled "checking in" I remind students of their deadlines and encourage them to contact me with questions. I also tell them how they are doing as a class. Whether it be the class is doing well, or if I see most are not completing work in a timely manner. This seems to help I also send personalized emails to students.

Hi Patricia,
Great job in keeping in contact with your students. The method(s) you are using are encouraging to the students yet not intrusive. Also, your reminders about upcoming deadlines and assignments will help keep them focused on meeting those deadlines.
Thanks for sharing this strategy with the other participants.
Gary

One of the challenges facing us at our school is that most students have a full time or almost full time job. This means time budgeting is a must. I myself try to teach this soft skill as it might be the first time for the students having to deal with this.

Hi George,
Good to hear that not only are you offering instruction in specific skill development but the soft skills as well. If the students don't have a grasp of soft skills they will have a difficult time holding and growing in their career area. There has to be development in both of these areas as the student get ready to enter the work world.
Gary

I have a very short time with students as the course has different aspects taught by different people. Any suggestions on how to get students who seem distracted to be involved/focused quickly?

I don't want to dismiss whatever is distracting them, but I want a positive way to help them let go at least for class time and focus on what we're doing.

Hi Keegan,
Not sure a "short time" is. If you have them for 15-20 minutes you have a mini mini lecture of three new concepts and an activity of application. By having a fast paced short class session you can get the disinterested students engaged quickly. Plus these know the session will be short to the point and then they move on.
Gary

Thanks Gary,

I should have clarified i meant I have 2 days with students out of a 3 month course. The days themselves are full days, but there are only 2 of them.

I think your idea of being fast paced would still work with my situation.

The biggest challenge I face in the classroom almost on a daily basis is the unmotivated and lazy student. One of the things I say to these students is that there is no room for mediocraty in this business. I simply do not understand how they can be paying so much money for their education and not care.

When I catch students texting or on myspace or anything else, it makes me wonder why they are there if they don't care. This is a very frustrating issue for me and I would appreciate any suggestions to help me convince these students that their education is important if they want to succeed.

Sign In to comment