Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivation

What are some sources of motivation to keep students interested in completing assignments, taking notes, etc.?

Hi Cheryl,
There are a number of things an instructor can do to keep students interested in completing work and staying enrolled.
A big one is you. Do you show that you are excited about your students as learners. Have you developed rapport with them? Do they know you want them to succeed?
Assignments--Are they realistic? Do the students understand why you have the requirements that you have?
Activities--There are many different formats that can be used to help the students stay focused on learning the material. I use a lot of different games to help the students learn content. We have competitions and these keep the students interested. I also use mnemonics to help with rote learning. The students like coming up with their own mnemonics which they share with the class.
You can give your students guided notes to help them get the information down. My students really appreciate them since they can focus on the key points while I am doing a demonstration.
Gary

One way I keep the student motivated about assignments is to try to assign fun projects. I think back to my career education and try to interject some fun ways to learn even boring projects. Wether it's using our facilities or library, or just using different colors for different subjects. A blackboard is pretty boring, but colors can be fun.

Hello Timothy,
You are dead on with "Fun learning" I have found that changing things up keeps the students coming back for more (What fun, challenge, or excitement will my Instructor come up with next syndrome) We have gone out of our way to put bright colors in our labs. Gone are the stoic drab puritan dull rooms and teaching methods. I personally saw the fruits of this action in increased retention or what I like to call on campus "Student Success!" If you ever have a chance, there is a DVD called "A Touch of Greatness" it chronicles the success of a Rye, NY. Public school teacher that was one of the pioneers of this type of outside the box teaching.

Hi Timothy,
No matter the age of students, they like to have fun while learning. I like you like to use colors in my teaching. I use different colored paper for handouts, announcements, activities, etc. I try to keep some color going in my class/lab as well. If nothing else the colors make the darkness of winter a little brighter and helps the spirits of the students.
Gary

I have found out by giving rewards for their participation and attendance they stay motivated. For example, for each class that I have perfect attendance and completed assignments, I add .25 point to their final grade. This is the first semester I am trying this and it has really improved both attendance and participation. The students are motivating and helping each other - this also helps with the traditional/non traditional student diversity issue.

Hi Vipan,
Good to hear about your success in increasing attendance and motivation. I think you have come up with a strategy that will benefit your students and help you to have more impact on the development of their professional lives.
Gary

Hi Cheryl! I have found that the average student loses interest after twenty minutes. Changing it up with games such as Jeopardy and Pictionary are fun for the students and they retain information easier also. Using alot of color on flip charts attracts their eye. Having students get into groups and make up their own games for the subject at hand are full filling also. Recently I was teaching about the color wheel and had my students paint, using only the three primary colors, to see how many colors they could make. They had a ball and everyone of them thanked me for such a fun class.

Hi Cheryl,
You have to keep things fun for them. Have stretching or relaxation sessions to give them a break from theory classes. Let the students initiate conversations about the topics to be discussed. Students can learn from each other as well as from teachers.

Hi Dr. Gary,

Keeping students motivated through Distance Education/on-line learning is difficult.

Even calling, emialing, and writing students frequently does not produce the results I would like.

I thought about giving them progressive certificates to help keep then on track and motivated.

Do you have any suggestions?

Hi Sandie,
You raise a common problem that many instructors have with on-lining students. The teachers I have worked with as well myself having taught many on-line courses have tried many different approaches. The key is to try and create some rapport and connection with each student. As you well know this is a real challenge.
I think your certificate idea is a good one. Give it a try and see what happens. You may be on to something.
I have my best results with the different forms of communication so the students know I am always there to support them. Something that I have done is have on-line office hours when I am available to students for immediate feedback on their questions. As with all activities that are tried this works well for some students and others need that extra point of communication to keep them progressing in the course.
Let me know how the certificate effort works out.
Gary

Hey Sandie,

I know exactly what you mean. Keeping online students on track and motivated can be a huge challenge for us instructors. One tool I have incorporated into my course that has been a tremendous help are weekly progress reports. It does take some time to complete, but the students really appreciate them, and it also serves as a reminders for those who maybe behind.

In the progress report emails I tell each student what their current average is, provide them with a list of their missing assignments, and I also ask them what their plans are for completing the course and the coursework. Best of luck, Elisabeth

Several thing faculty can do to keep students interested. The first is to involve the students as much as possible. That means allowing them to participate in groups and individual programs and projects. Another way to help motivate students is to be there for them when they need extra help or assistance. Still, another method would be to work one-on-one with those students who are in need of additional tutoring.

I agree that the more fun and interesting the class is, the more students will be motivated to take notes and complete assignments. I like to mix things up in class to keep students involved. I recently had a very successful class combining lecture with a jeopardy game and you tube videos, in short segments. All the students were very involved, asked questions, and enthusiastic, even after a 4 hour class!

Hi Laura,
Great example of instructional pacing. Thanks for sharing it with us. Students like variety and games as you know. By combining the two you have the formula for effective and efficient learning.
Gary

Sign In to comment