Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One area where I have students wanting to work in group is in our labs. It the lab they have to carry out an experiment and answer questions on it. I do allow them to share test equipment, and I encourage them to exchange sugggestions and advice, but each one must still conduct his own experiment. Otherwise, I fear what I call "watcheritis" where one student learns to take all the data, but not use the tools, and the other learns to use the switches and knobs, but not understand the meaning of the measurements.

On balance, I try to have them share (within limits) but each must build his own experiment.

Personally, I still worry more about group work becoming a crutch rather than a true team effort especially during the first year when building the their basic skills is critical. In the second year, teams seem to work much better.

This is what I have noticed.

Hi James,
I thing your observations are accurate. The further the students advance in their training the easier it is for them to work in groups and for each to carry their own weight. A number of the courses I teach are advanced and the group learning works extremely well. For the my beginner courses I have more individual work to develop just as you mentioned a strong foundation upon which they can build their future.
Gary

I could not agree more with having students prove their abilities first before being rewarded with a place in a group effort. The work done here is always characteristic of the aspiring student craftsman; knowing their individual styles, I can frequently identify their work even if it is part of a team effort. This assists me in evaluating group projects and grading the individuals accordingly.

Hi Charles,
Good point about identifying the work of students. By doing so you know you are evaluation the students based on their individual and group efforts since you can see both in the work they submit. This reduces complaints about it not being fair that they were evaluated as a group and not individually.
Gary

I see the advantage. The disadvantage is when they enter thier field they may not be able to work in a group.

Hi Eugene,
It is critical that students learn to work in diverse groups. This is why there needs to be a mix of students throughout the course working in learning groups. Also, it has them using different learning preferences when they are working together and this helps to expand their cognitive abilities.
Gary

Group learning has worked well as long as the tasks are large enough and very specific. Group size is also important. Not so large that each does not stay busy and in comunication with the other members.

this is an interesting study in group dynamics. In offering group assignments (such as debate issues...) you soon discover that the group eventually monitors and demands quality work from other members in the group. Initiially, there is the concern that one student will do the work, and the other(s) will not...In the end, you usually get a better product than individual assignments strategies. This is easire to manage in the online environment than in the classroom.

Hi George,
You make a very good point about group projects. If managed correctly they are a very valuable resource for instructors to use. As you say the online environment lends itself to such a format with rewards for all of the group members.
Gary

I use a team based approach in teaching computer programming and database design classes. Students take an individual test on assigned reading, then retake it on a team basis discussing the content. Then the teams work together to create a general overall program or database design, followed by a more detailed design or program implementation developed on an individual basis. Evaluation of the work is a combination of individual scores, team scores, and peer evaluation. In comparing this approach with totally individual versions of the same courses, I find that the team approach results in consistently better grades for a class as a whole, and better motivation and interaction among students.

I believe a combination of group projects and individual work is best. The group projects provide the interaction and soft skills mentioned earlier and really help the students to learn from each other. On the other hand, weaker students can hide out in groups, where the stronger students tend to take charge. The individual work helps the instructor to identify the weaker students and provide the necessary remediation.

I feel that students can enhance their learning in groups. Often times I have seen students better understand the information when a peer speaks to them at their level, rather than with the language that the instructor has used.

Hi Lori,
Student learning groups are an effective method of instructional delivery. I use them a lot when I have diverse age groups in my classes. By mixing my younger students with older students I get a great exchange of ideas and experiences, in addition a level of respect is developed between the two categories of students.
Gary

It depends on the group and Instructor. I have learned from group assignments when it is discussion based. But I have had to carry the project when another member does not do their part of the assignment.This caused all the positive to go out of the assignment. There will always be the slackers who know someone wants the "A", so they let that person do the whole assignment. They don't show up for weekly meetings and have all the reasons to not be there.i personaaly do not like graded group projects. I have been left doing the assignment to many times.

Hi Robyn,
This is one of the challenges of using group assignments. This is why I always grade each individual member of the group. This way the slackers are "rewarded" for their efforts as well as those that have done all of the work and took leadership. I have been in the same situation as you when I was a student and felt put upon when one of my team mates did not do his part of the assignment. I determined if I became a teacher that I would not let this happen to my students and I have worked hard toward this end.
Gary

Group projects are absolutely necessary--a necessary evil, some might say--in learning the collaborative process. Many of my students strongly dislike them. I assure them, the farther they progress in their educational journey, the easier group projects become, as all group members are becoming older, wiser, more seasoned in the process. I continually remind them that the goal is to simulate actual work teams that they will encounter in their careers.

Depends on the group and the mix of students in it. Some do some don't. Students that don't take responsibility for communicating or doing their part frustrate and let the others down. Students who work together make it a success.

I have mixed feeling about group projects and here's why.

Pro: The pro's to group projects is the students are allowed to work in a collaborative environment to find the solution to a problem or develop a process. The students will in turn learn from each other and also learn the skill of communicaton.

Con: The con's to group projects is some some students will be uncooperative and some make in fact hinder the group from succeeding. Some members of the group my also be non-productive and allow the group to do all the work and simply reap the benifits.

In order to have group projects I have found each member must be graded separately and be held accountable for their part of the group project or process.

I have mixed feeling about group projects and here's why.

Pro: The pro's to group projects is the students are allowed to work in a collaborative environment to find the solution to a problem or develop a process. The students will in turn learn from each other and also learn the skill of communicaton.

Con: The con's to group projects is some some students will be uncooperative and some make in fact hinder the group from succeeding. Some members of the group my also be non-productive and allow the group to do all the work and simply reap the benifits.

In order to have group projects I have found each member must be graded separately and be held accountable for their part of the group project or process.

Hi Joseph,
This has been my experience with student groups as well so I do what you do and grade each student individually. I use student groups a lot for case studies and problem solving but always let the students know that their grade depends on what they contribute individually to the group effort.
Gary

Sign In to comment