Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I haven't tried a group project but I like the idea of an in-class project. It could help support the lesson as well as having them learn to work with their peers.

Hi Joseph,

I was just like you. I hated working in groups. In fact I still do! When I attend meetings and they split us out by groups I just want to skip off to the bathroom. So when I first started teaching I decided to avoid putting the students in any type of group work, but then I noticed my students were unresponsive. It was terrible! I could only get the few "usual" students to speak up in class. I began putting them into small groups and sometimes in pairs. I found that if I had them work together first they were more willing to discuss what their group came up with. We began having great discussions! Now I'm a huge fan. I can put mix the students up and teach them how to work with different types of people. I can get the shy students to speak up after they've talked about their ideas in a small group. I can put different learning levels together and they strengthen each other. Now my classes are a mix of group work and independent work and I feel like my students are learning at a much better level.

I agree that grading student individually is ideal. I have found that peer review/grading is also beneficial.

Hi Sarah,
Glad you brought up the point about peer review/grading. If it is set up right this method of evaluation can be very valuable to both the students being evaluated and those doing the evaluating. Both sectors really get the opportunity to use their skills in their area. This prepares them for the work world where they will be asked to do evaluation of peer workers throughout their careers.
Gary

I think this is situationally dependent on the learners that you have in your course--as many people need different types of stimulation in order to process new information.

I always incorporate a group element to my courses with the idea that we all bring a different skill set to the table--and working together, we are able to share our skills with one another.

Some students may be strong organizers while others are great at writing descriptions. Some students may be excellent with grammar and spelling while other students think in a more abstract manner. When you put all of these students together, they are able to pool their skills to create high quality work--they will also learn from one another!

It teach IT and group projects are essential in areas of programming, networks, and databases. I agree with you that employers today seek individuals that have good team skills. Many students have no opportunity to develop them on a day to day basis. When seeking employment, they can at least refer to the group projects that they participated in during class. They can address any questions posed about it because they have experienced it first-hand. I am quite fond of group projects. However, students have yet to appreciate them :-)

Hi Diane,
I can appreciate your comment about students not fully appreciating group projects. Even though working with others is going to be essential if they are successful in their careers they sometimes feed like their individual work is not being accurately evaluated when their efforts are lumped in with other students. I evaluate their individual contributions to the projects as well as how the groups performs in completing the project. This helps to reduce their frustrations concerning individual efforts.
Gary

I think group projects are a great way to introduce teams. In a work environment you may have to work with teams in order to complete tasks. Having students learn this before they enter the work force will make them better employees and team players

Collaboration with other students helps the adult learner achieve social success and develop new skills. Students form relationships and practice the kind of teamwork they are likely to find in their job. I divided my class of 16 into 4 groups based solely on where students were seated. This resulted in diversity in the groups of age, race, and gender. At first some students resisted the idea, preferring to work independently. We discussed that groups will have leaders, who initiate the effort and that others in the group need to add their skills -- perhaps they are good with graphical content or proofreading. The rubric for group work has to include that everyone participate. In addition each student submits a confidential evaluation which assesses his/her own effort as well as each individual‘s effort, with comments encouraged. This encourages everyone to participate and gives a way team members can vent frustrations.

This is all very very interesting to me. Before reading I was 100% against group projects (as a former student and a teacher). But now (after reading here) I see the positive benefits that I had not considered before.

However...I do agree with all the "CONs" listed above.

I must have been scared for life as a youngster...because I was always the person who ended up DOING EVERYTHING because the rest of the kids would not do the work. But I see here that there is (maybe) an age appropriate time for group projects.

(and PS - it's not that I'm a control freak, I would have gladly NOT done my part of any given project...but a strong work ethic prevailed even as a kid. Plus I knew the difference of letting the slackers dictate my grade and me just taking care of it!)....thanks for letting me vent (after all these years)...ha.

Hi Richard,
I really understand your comments about group work. I felt the same way and then I started figuring out how you can use groups as effective learning tools. By having each member contributing and spreading the work out while evaluating each person individually groups can accomplish a lot.
Gary

Group works can be more effective than individual works if the members are cooperative and in same age group. The diversity of the student skills enhances the problem solving. Today, also in the work environment, as the economy has become more global teamwork has become the primary mode of business operations.

KIZHAKKEPARAMPIL,
I use group work for the reason you state and because I want my students to learn how to work with individuals from different generations and backgrounds because they will have to in the work place. They more they know how to do this the more successful they will be in their careers.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree students learn better in groups when they can interact with others in a different age group, and learn from their adult students on their wisdom from their working experiences, and the adult students can connect with the younger students on their interests.

Cindy,
I agree. I put my students into small groups frequently as we do different case studies. They like these types of discussions and appreciate the interaction with the other students. Also, my shy students contribute more when they are in small group.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Group learning is imperative in today’s business world. So what is a better forum to introduce to some students the process of working in a group, team building, and brainstorming.

Keith,
This is so important because having the ability to work with others is a skill that will be needed in every aspect of one's career development.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment