Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The key point we have to understand that adult learning has rich life-experience. Military training incorporates a lot of the transferable soft and hard skills that be use in the classroom setting and future secondary career.

In our Visual Design program, the most common motivating factors for adults to return to school are the following:
1. Earn the degree to move to the next level in their career (glass ceiling).
2. Earn the degree to enable them for a new secondary career (profession unrelated to the main occupation).
3. Learn new skills (Self achievement) that are applicable to their business or even in their retirement (art/Design).

Racquel,

It is interesting that you use the term "glass ceiling." I have always understood that term to mean an unseen barrier that keeps a person from rising beyond a certain point in an organization due to defacto discrimination based on a person's membership in a demographic group. One who picks up new skills or credentials to move ahead can clearly see the ceiling that may be preventing advancement. What do you mean by "glass ceiling?"

Jeffrey Schillinger

Based on my experience observing students on the first days of class, there are some that are younger and attend school because they need to fulfill an "expectation"; others that are older, seem to be returning to school to fulfill an "achievement gap" but the bottom line is that both groups seem to be attending school to better themselves and used their eduction as a forward tool.

Gamaliel,

Thank you for this post. What are one or two specific things you do to to learn your students' motivations?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I agree that motivation does seem to change with age and stage of life.I find that some of my most motivated students are those that have recently experienced some kind of life changing event during their "mid-life" years. I.e. divorce, death of a partner, job loss, etc.

Susan,

Thank you for this post. What are some specific things you do to discover and leverage your students' motivations?

Jeffrey Schillinger

My experience with adult learners, including my own MBA and PHD after a career in international business, provides me with an eye on motivation for other adult learners that feel they can utilize their experience, family and personal motivational factors, career enhancement opportunities that combine real world experiences with academic concepts and theories.

I'm constantly speaking to my students about this. I have found that most of them return to school to get a job that they enjoy and to make money from it. Most do not just want a 9-5 job anymore where they simply make money. They want something meaningful and hopefully something that they will feel accomplished with.

Hi Jeffrey,

I would say that some factors that could motivate adults to return to school is for professional advancement, change of career that would support the needs of the family, or they just want to do it to fill the sense of accomplishments.

Emeline

Jesse,

How do you determine each student's individual motivation? How do you leverage those motivations in your classroom?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Good evening,

I personally determine their motivation by speaking with them at regular intervals throughout the course. For example, I had a student the other day tell me that he only wanted a "B" in the course and to pass; English isn't his personal strong suite. I discussed this with him, respected his goal, but still challenged him to learn what he could and explained that it's a content that he'll need throughout the rest of his academic career. I leverage with different types of assignments for the content. I know that I have different learners with different goals. I do different things for the assignments to try to meet as many as I can.

Motivating factors that influence adult learners to go back to school as listed are in part tied to gaining a career, advancement, and social structure. The factor that I find interesting or the one that works in my life is setting a positive example for my children. I am 48 years old and working on my MBA, late in life. My oldest son is 25 and did not attend college, but my other two children are 11 and 5 and both of them will attend. They have watched me in school and this will be second nature to attend.

Leonard,

You are setting a great example for all of your children as well as your students. College may not be for everone, but education is.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Some of the students are motivated by economics reason, others because they want to better them self, or they don't have a career.They don't have the time or the money to go to a four year college , so they choose a vocational school, where the time is less. Some of them get distracted with the regular life distractions and we have to motivate them to have goals and continue forward until they finish. Talking to them of my experience in the field and the troubles I went through to finish my school and been here were I am no. It does inspire and motivate them to contine and get back in track.

Maria,

Painting oneself as a "similar other" who has been where the students are right now can help establish rapport.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Some of the motivating factors for adults to return to school can be:
1. Professional development
2. Sense of accomplishment
3. Desire to increase salary
4. Pleasure of studying.

Most adults return to school to enchance their career. In this economy most higher paying jobs require more education.

Daniel,

We do not get too many students who come to us for the "pleasure of studying." What percentage of your student fall into this category?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Anne,

Thank you for this post. Do you find differences betweeen students who are seeking a way to advance in a career as opposed to those who are making a full career change? If so, what are one or two of the challenges each present?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment