Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I believe there are many reasons that adults return back to school. However, I believe that the strongest motivation for coming back to school comes from within. Whether it is for a career change, or to advance their education, having self-motivation provides a drive for students that will encourage them to attain their goals. Effective teachers can influence this self-motivation by being supportive, encouraging, available, and reliable for those students.

Cameron,

Thanks. What are some of the specific things you do to clearly indicate you are available and reliable?

Jeffrey Schillinger

You have to talk to the students to find out what their goals are. Is it to pass, is it to have the skill and what is the student's currency? Good grades, what. It can also be discovered through surveys and assessments.

Our school offers short programs that lead to licensure in real estate, insurance, and other similar fields.

When we have surveyed our students, we have found that the majority have had, or expect to have, some change in their life which will affect employment.

The most common stories that we hear relate to job changes, layoffs, looking to get ducks in a row for potential future employment, and a few that think they can get rich quick. Occasionally students will be pushed to attend class by a parent, or a spouse.

The drive to pursue additional education and knowledge is a personal journey and one of discovery. Motivating factors include furthering job development/career advancement, self-improvement and personal satisfaction.

Some motivating factors for adults to return to school are to further their career, begin a career, or to make a change forthe better.

John,

What are some specifi things you do to leverage these conditions for use in the classroom?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Often my students have children that are now grown and the student now has time to go back to school and either change or improve their careers.

Daniel,

How can you leverage the experience of these students to make your class a better learning environment?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I get students of all ages , at times I dont get a feel for the students needs until at the end of the course ,when they start open up.

Daniel,

The end of the course may be too late to be as effective as you want to be. What are some things you can do to get a feel for student needs early in the course?

Jeffrey Schillinger

The vast majority of adult students in our program are either career changers or are already in the industry and are seeking skills and credentials that will provide upward mobility. Our curriculum sets forth a series of expectaions for the student. However, the adult students arrive on day one with with their own set of expectations and preconceptions. Individually aligning those two sets of expectaions from the very beginning is critical to adult student satisfaction. That alignment is also key to managing student expectations through the entire program.

Ernest,

Thank you for this thoughtful post. We sometimes call this "matching pictures."

Jeffrey Schillinger

Most of the adults that I have encountered in my classes were purpose driven. They were in school to get the degree. The degree was needed for some other goal or there was a perceived weakness and they were there to accomplish a purpose.
On a couple of occasions I have taught older adults who were there just for something to do. They were looking for stimulation, interaction, and challenge. These students were a lot of fun because they bring a ton of experience and knowledge and seem to enjoy relating and sharing if given a chance.

LE,

Thanks for the post. It sounds like your adult students "conform" to the standard demographics.

Jeffrey Schillinger

There are numerous reasons. The younger students are often persuing a college career for the first time in their entire family, others career changes,family dynamic changes, etc. The details are not important but general knowledge does facilitate their ultimate goals.

Life experiences...which often dictate new educational goals, career change or enhancement, and self assessment of their current work place environment.

Job change, career changes either voluntary or forced will cause adults to return to school

Lynn,

What do you do to leverage those experiences?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Beth,

What are some things you do to determine your students' individual motivation?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment