Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Therese,

I think including current events related to the subject matter is exceedingly important.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Adult learners are ready to learn. They have the realization that learning is what they need to do, they understand why they need to study. I think this is an important motivation factor. Suguna

I've been interacting with adult learners for almost 20 years, as an adjunct faculty, full-time faculty and an administrator. It's been my experience (anecdotally) that they are very focused on developing skills that will prepare them for entry level employment in a specific career. This is especially true with my students who have returned to college due to a recent lay-off. I've had a few who are currently employed and want to enhance their skills, but not many. Now as an administrator, I'm surprised at the number of students age 40 and beyond who are in college. They, too, are motivated by future employment opportunities in careers that are of interest to them.

Gerald,

Thank you for this post. Are there any clear differences between 40 year old learners and 30 year old learners?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I believe everyone comes for a different reason and it is our job to find that out so that we can help them reach their goal or give them alternatives.

I do agree and hae seen it in regards to nursing that the older student is more involved and want to learn where the younger expect to be spoon fed. Of course this isn't always the case.

It is interesting to know how each of our adult learners think what brought them back to school. I think as instructors we should be sensitive to their feelings and support them appropriately.

Adult learners are smart, they know how to balance their learning and interpersonal relationship. Their behavior demonstrates their maturity and confidence that they obtained through series of psychosocial stages. While instructing students, i make effort to acknowledge this experience and try to build on what they already know. Some instructors might argue that the student's preconceived ideas about a particular task might act negatively by student being resistant to change. I let student write reflection journal and discuss at the end of the day what they thought about that particular change in practice.

They are ready to learn but they also need to learn new ways of learning. There is too much focus on memorization of information and less on the ability to use that information.

Many of our students have had entry level positions in health care, found themselves engrossed in what they are are doing and want to take their career to a higher level as a nurse.

Kathryn,

How are these students different from some of your other students?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Kathryn,

Employers are looking for students who cam solve problems and think critically. We need to teach these skills as well as the facts.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Barbara,

What do you do to get your younger students to look for more than spoon feeding?

Jeffrey Schillinger

It is my experience that many of the motivating factors for ADULTS to return to school are socially driven: they have been displaced and need to be trained for a new career, they have reached a ceiling based on their current education and to advance require more education, and they understand that education can provide a higher income level. I don't think I have ever met a student who came back to school just for the sake of learning - a college education is too expensive and time-consuming. Regardless of what motivated them to return to college, adults tend to be very motivated learners. I used to connect their motivation to the fact that they are paying for the education, but that is not always the case.

Barbara, I have observed the very same when comparing younger to older adult learners; younger do want to be spoon fed while the older enjoy learning and figuring out the answer themselves. Nancy

Tell them that it is their responsibility as students to figure it out. It works sometimes :)

Adult learners are motivated to return to school for several reasons. Some of these may include wanting a career change, making more money, fulfilling a goal of achieving an educational objective, or setting an example for their children.

Heidi,

Thank you for this post. What are some of the specific ways you leverage these varied motivations to inspire students to do the things they need to do to be successful?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I want to know the students on an individual level; I want to find out what their pay-off is and why they are in the class and in school! Once I find out their individual motivations, I try to tailor the lesson plans around that. I allow them enough freedom through weekly journals to discuss anything they need to discuss, and provide consistent feedback so the students know that I AM reading their work! I find that most of our students do not feel that they have a voice (at home, at work, even at school) and providing them a stage motivates them quite a bit.

A SECOND CHANCE AT A CAREER WHICH PAYS WELL AND HAS BENEFITS DURING DIFFICULT ECONOMIC TIMES.

Sign In to comment