Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have seen many adult learners reenter the classroom. A common theme is a need to change, i.e. skill they learned not used anymore. Others fulfill a promise to themselves to finish something they started years ago. Still others to provide a good example for their children to follow.

Dennis,

These are common reasons for adults to reengage in education. What are some specific challenges that typically accompany students who are finishing something they started?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I have learned that with every class that I instruct there are so many different motivations.
Students that are given the opportunity right out of school are sometimes not as motivated as that student that has been given the opportunity to make a career ladder change. They have been working in the field and now they are able to move up in their career if they will go back and get their license. In every new class, we are asking them why they are coming to this program, and what is their motivation. We as a faculty see that the student that has some experience usually does better in a fast paced course, but students that are signing up "my family wants me to" motivation does not always stay with this individual. Part of motivation is liking and wanting to do the career you have chosen. It takes more than one reason to keep the student motivated!

I think one driving factor for adults returning to school is the realization that education and learning are requirements in society today. No longer can one simply graduate high school, then raise a family and retire. Even jobs and opportunities that were once thought as "standard", for those with little education - are now requiring (or preferring) college degrees.

It comes down to 'join the flock' or get left behind.....a great motivator!

First of all: Thank them for their service! Find out from them what their experience was like in the military. Then find out what their goals are in respect to going forward from here.

Samuel,

Thank you for this post. I grew up in Detroit and many of my friends expected to graduate and work for 30 years at one of the automakers as their fathers did. They needed to go back to develop new skills.

Jeffrey Schillinger

James,

Thank you for this post. We owe our vets a lot.

Jeffrey Schillinger

According to assertions made by my adult students, some of their motivating factors for returning to school include being a role model for and creating a better life for their children, as well as an intrinsic desire to build a new career in which to help others.

Cynthia,

Thank you for this post. How do you leverage these motivations to improve retention of information and/or retention of students?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Most adults in my program return to school to "move up" in their chosen field of dentistry. Their primary motivation is to increase their income, or have more "hands on" relationship with patients.

Many adults returning to school have found that the career choice they have made as a young adult does not align with their long term interests.

Linh,

Thank you for this post. What are ypur students moving "from" and "to" as they change their relationship?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Mary,

Thank you for this post. What are the special challeges these students bring to your classroom?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I think a main objective of adult learners is to build on an existing base of knowledge.To better themselves and their family.The older students I find respond to relaying events in my own life that compares to where they are.Always reflecting on the good.

Gary,

Many of our students come to us seeking a complete change of career. Do you find students who have no subject-familiarity to be a different sort of challenge?

Jeffrey Schillinger

There are a variety of motivating factors, including personal growth, hopes for career advancement, a career change path, or as an unemployed individual seeking to gain the skills for a particular industry. While there may other indirect reasons such as setting an example for family members or friends, it is usually the reasons that are applicable to individual that apply first.

Jae,

How do you leverage these disparate motivations to improve retention and enhance learning in your courses?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Hi they can continue there education and further their career

look and gain knowledge of their military background

to find a better career or change the career path

Sign In to comment