Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

First and foremost an effective instructor of adult learners gets to know their students and their background. This can add a "comfort level" of adult students going back to school after many years away. Also, the instructor may be able to associate topics in the course that students could associate as relevant in learning.

I find that an effective instructor is one who appreciates the diversity of their classroom and uses that diversity to create an environment to facilitate learning. By diversity I mean the generational mix, the variation in lived experiences, and the differences in previous educational preparation among other things. An awareness of what students bring to the table of learning has helped me create better team-based learning activities in the classroom. I find that a heterogeneous group has more to offer to each team member and allows students to learn from each other.

I think the most important element is to show students that what they are about to learn is going to be extremely helpful to them--either in their future jobs or in their daily lives. Adult learners need to see the POINT of what they are learning. Without that, their attention wanes. Before I begin talking about any subject in my classes, I always address this question: "How is this relevant for my students? Why do they need to know this?"

Ann Marie,

Good points. Adult learners need to know why!

Jeffrey Schillinger

I would even borrow their experiences as well as build upon them. My students have a very wide array of experiences. Some have experiences that others have never even considered. Using some of the experiences of my students can give their classmates perspective and practical examples of how course material will be useful to them in a clinical setting, even though my course is not a clinical course.

Get to know your students on a more personal level and you will understand more about them and their learning abilities. It will help build a better learning environment.

Thanks, Liz. Are there any topics you feel are off limits for discussion?

Jeffrey Schillinger

As an adult learner myself, I appreciate when instructors exhibit the follow traits:
1. Clarity in expectations- especially when there are portions of the curriculum where the students are expected to develop self-teaching skills. Adult learners generally don't appreciated their time being wasted.
2. Repeatedly connect course content with the reasons for the need to know the material. In nursing, having real case examples allows the students to hear, see and almost "smell" how it is applied. When the need to know becomes real, they will put in the time.
3. To the extent possible, create a positive emotional environment, especially in evaluation times. When students are able to trust your evaluation procedures, they can focus on understanding content and not worry about tricks or deceit.
4. Acknowledge and challenge students with prior negative educational experiences or "scars", and facilitate their way through those callenges. Sometimes, just helping the student believe in themselves makes a world of difference.

Of course, understanding adult learning styles is important to be an effective instructor, but I also think that good interpersonal skills are needed. Adults will "judge" how you get along with them before they respect your instruction. I think this is a little different than teaching children. They tend to accept you before the instruction begins. Have you found this to be true?

Deborah,

I have found that adults tend to want an instructor to "prove it" before buying in.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Jeffrey,
since the majority of my students are the more mature adult learner, I find that they are less patient after asking a question whereas the less mature student is willing to wait for the answer or for the instructor to respond to their needs. I believe that this "need for immediate attention" is something that arises from getting their subordinates to respond immediately and this becomes part of their overall attitude towards everyone, without really recognizing it.

Anne Fox

Anne,

Thanks for this interesting post. How do you address the impatience?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Know that even though they are adults they may have special ways of learning that need to be brought into the course. Also that you are able to stand your grounds as instructor and maintaine respect.

Judith,

What are some specific things you do to "maintain respect?"

Jeffrey Schillinger

I subscribe to the theory that the classroom must stay "alive". 1. Hands on activities do not need to be elaborate to be effective. Draw a plan, building, or project idea etc. on a sheet of paper and spend 5 minutes discussing these ideas at others at your table or in your area. 2. Students should not be seated for more than 45 minutes. Find a way to get them to a lab, a work station or anything that requires students to be active for a few minutes. 3. Allow team or table discussions or problem solving sessions. These type of activities not only keep the classroom alive, but encorporates several learning styles as an added benefit.

Keith,

Thank you for this well-written post.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Allowing for more balanced intellectual developmental instruction, it’s crucial. Using a variety of educational activities in your classroom. Students tend to engage in a great amount of left-brain activity such as writing and reasoning in the classroom. Are they doing anything to utilize their right brain? You might want to incorporate multimedia and hands-on activities into your lesson believe it or not, I have my students play Jeopardy to review grammar and after a game they are confident that they can pass the test many instructors feel these games are below the students when in fact they engage them and the repetition helps them to practice the skill. We also have a lot of fun. Who doesn't like to have FUN!!!

I am total agreement with your statement. Adult learners need to know the reason behind the rule. I have taught both teens and adults. I find that adult learners tend to desire the reason that the rule is used.In English grammar needless to say, there is always an exception to the rule. I always have a power point that helps the student visualize that what i am teaching has guidelines and how it is used in everyday life. Since my students work and have interaction with others, knowing how to use the material helps them to be more accepting of what is being taught and see that it is a necessary skill. They have no time to waste on things they deem not needed. As a review I use Jeopardy games that make the lesson less tedious. Adults love games. Just because you teach adults does not mean that you have to use lecture. Fun is needed at any age.

Sor Angel,

Thanks for this post. I also try to make sure I include the "why" when I teach adults.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Flexible, good listener, responsive, current and relative. All those charateristics are important for anyone teaching to adults.

Sign In to comment