Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reggie,

What are some specific ways someone could demonstrate these characteristics?

Jeffrey Schillinger

It's important to know your students - know their names, why they are there, what do they want to get out of it, how do they learn, what motivates them. Teach to all of them - vary your approach or style, get them engaged - let them guide you.
William Austin DC

William,

Thank you for this post. What are some things you do to get your students to open up and share this information?

Jeffrey Schillinger

An instructor that is mindful that an adult's time is valuable tends to be an effective instructor. Although this may appear on the surface to be an overly simplistic characteristic, I believe it encompasses many other. Choosing the right content, delivering it in a instructionally sound manner and ensuring the content has direct applicability are all directly related to being mindful of adult learner's time.

Good points, Bryce. One of the challenges we now have is the new guidelines requiring colleges to document academic rigor equal to two hours of outside class for every hour inside of class. How is your school addressing this issue?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I find that it is so important to get to know the adult learner on a one-to -one basis and to genuinely care about their desire to increase their knowledge and skills. Behind every adult student is a personal sacrifice to be in the course, and feel that this new learning is worth their time invested.

It has to make a difference for them to continue.

Hi Jeffrey,

Because adults will encounter barriers to learning that can often steer them off course, I believe an effective instructor is first and foremost always cognizant of these barriers and willing to make accommodations as needed. For example, an instructor who has set up office hours to be during the mornings may need to consider being flexible to meet with a student who can only get to campus during the evening.

Also, in addition to the institutional barriers, an effective instructor will anticipate the situational barriers these adult learners will inevitably face, and attempt to use as many motivational strategies as possible to help the learners to become successful.

Jerry,

Great post. Thanks for the great explanation of how we need to consider the students' perspectives in all we do.

Jeffrey Schillinger

One of the biggest characteristics is to be more patient, not that instructors aren't patient enough, it just takes some more with adult learners. There are times where a concept being discussed will take more time for the adult learner to grasp and understand it completly. They may ask many questions until then.

A quality instructor should not only provide a supportive envioronment for the adult learner to build trust and a positive experience, but should also be conscious of stimulating learning and ensuring that all students learn. The instructor should definitely balance out the teaching methods to ensure that all students are able to learn; whether it be creating games to help those students who learn in an intuitive, holistic way or by creating things like powerpoints and such for visual learners. It is hard to create a balance for all learning types, especially for a hands-on learner; I know this because that is how I learn and there were several classes that I did not do well in because the instructor simply read notes off of their sheet and expected us to copy them, so I got bored and wasn't able to retain the information being taught and did not do well in that class.

Tiffany,

This is a great post. Thanks for sharing it.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Creating a participatory environment that empowers and challenges adult learners to "discover" and make direct contributions to (rather than passively "learn") the subjectmatter is very important, and highly dependent on the teacher's willingness to engage students' individual learning styles. Most adult learners are very experienced at synthesizing new information and skills with their existing knowledge base.

Daniela,

What are some of the most effective ways you help students to "discover?"

Jeffrey Schillinger

Instructors of adult learners must understand their students have two major demands. 1. Don't waste my time. 2. What's in it for me. An instructor of adult learning cannot get in front of a class and teach the material the same time after time. The students in each class are not the same and do not bring the same lifetime experiences. The instructor must take the time to get to know their students so they can revise their teaching plan to meet the needs of their students.

Joseph,

Thanks for this post. Well said.

Jeffrey Schillinger

One characteristic that a good instructor must have would the ability be to relate to the student when speaking directly about the field of study. Instructors should be able to use their experience to help students working in their area of expertise. For example, if a student brings up a problem or situation they have at work that directly related to a topic in school the instructor should be able to shed some positive light on the situation. Weather it is expertise in handling a situation or insight as to what is going on. Most adult educators are dealing with students who work, some full time and some part time, in the field of study at hand, so being able to relate to and expand on topics relevant to the adult learners “work” life is essential.

Hi Ann Marie,
I completely agree. I just dropped a course because I could see no relevance to what I do. While it was actually interesting, I simply could not apply the information to my current job.

Daniel,

Many of my students are in chool to change careers. They have little experience in the area in which they are studying. What are some ways you relate to these types of students?

Jeffrey Schillinger

In the course presentation you say "Quality instructors are activators, supporters, enhancers, and maintainers of learning." I agree with this and would like to add to the list. Coaching, facilitating and leading.

Why coaching; there are times when the learner is stuck in having to make decisions about continuing on or dropping out of the course. The quality instructor can put on the coaching hat and help the adult learner work thru the decisions. More person to person and hands on approach.

Why facilitating; The instructor has a room full of cats, and they may not all play well together or communicate well. the quality instructor has to manage these learners, especially during group discussions where everyone has a correct opinion or the correct answer. Being able to facilitate will help instructors negotiate the litter box and bring all the cats together. (Note: LOL but I hope you will accept my point of view.)

Why being a leader; people need someone to look up to, we all need leaders in our lives. Quality instructors are leaders. They issue guidance, give direction, and listen well. Many times adult learners need to hear the instructor supports and believes in them and some times they need to be encouraged to reach higher to achieve.

Paul,

Nice post. Thanks for your insight and humor.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment