Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Conveying the subject matter in variety of styles helps many students to grasp material easily. Many times I have to demonstrate, give as many cues while the student is demonstrating and above all to praise their succes is been beneficial teaching trait.

RAJINI,
All good strategies for reinforcing the students and their learning. By interacting with the students both as a group and individually you are able to help them be successful throughout the course.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I find it interesting that often the multiple intelligences ebb and flow like the ocean. as a visual learner is taking information in as they see a task the other intelligences contribute to the understanding of the why it works and in many cases the it doesn't work.

Hello Dr. Meers, by understanding multiple intelligences I can focus on providing instructional understanding to all students in the class although this is going to take some work on my part to adapt my delivery for all the different intelligences in the classroom. Craig

Trying to realize how the students learn will be very helpful to get the best results.

I definately will begin using some assessment tools at the beginning of my next class session. The website is very helpful, and I feel the results will help me augment observation as a way to determine the learning styles in my class. I have taught for 19 years and most of my classes are very diverse. The problem is with new students and only 8 weeks with them, observation is somewhat difficult when it comes to getting an accurate assesment. The pre-assessment and follow-up tools will be very beneficial.

Lisa,
Good to hear about your experiences with pretest. I use pretesting with all of my courses to establish a baseline so I can customize my instructional processes for them.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

By providing the students with multiple learning experiences ie: assign reading assignment outside of class, study guide for each chapter with the most significant info to answer on paper, class (small groups and individual opportunities) participation, providing examples of correct work, guided practices (student performs/teacher monitors)evaluation, going over the eval with the students giving them an opportunity to learn what and why they missed a question.

Fortunately for me the curriculum involved in the classes i teach has already been givin an advantage in that it addresses all but one of the learning styles. Every concept is first discussed, then they are demonstrated, and finally each student has the opportunity to work on it hands on. I augment this by finding relavent reading for the students to do at home and the results are usually quite positive.

With using all four all types of students are engaged

Jeremiah,
I appreciate your approach to your instruction. You are doing what is needed to appeal to the different learning preferences and bringing learning balance to your students.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Shanika,
Yes, they are. Their learning satisfaction goes up as well.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

i will deliver the information in many ways

With a bit of forethought and knowing which students have differentiating intake methods, I can tailor my delivery and interactions to suit the needs of a diverse population. this does take energy, time and a bit of investigation though in the end I have seen better scores, but more importantly, better retention of information.

Talyon,
What are some examples of those ways?
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Dorothy,
Thank you for sharing your student results with us. Yes, it takes work but as you say the results are worth it. Also, once developed you have a sense of comfort knowing that the next time you teach the course you have "good" content and delivery as a part of your instruction.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Grasping these concepts as an instructor are critical to your success in the classroom

In teaching adult military students I have noticed that Visual and kinesthetic/tactile methods work best.... maybe because it has been used and emphasized since basic training.

i love presenting this to students and creating a pie chart on a paper plate where they self-assess their "intelligences" - its always something they recall at the end of term assessment.

David,
I like this approach. It is concrete and visual which enables the students to "see" exactly what you are sharing with them.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sign In to comment