Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Carol,
So true. Students like variety and change of pace in their learning opportunities. By using different venues of delivery you are offering the different ways of processing information and storing it in their minds.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Understanding multiple intelligence is important because it allows instructors to tailor their teaching to the needs of the class. For example, if most of the class are visual learners, it makes more sense create lectures that appeal to students who are visual learners.

I am very interested in trying to identify my student's intelligences. I think that if I were to put groups together of like-minded individuals, that, they would really be able to make an effective stimulus for one another.

Rebecca,
Based upon the research I have been doing in multiple intelligences for the past 25 years this is true. I would suggest you visit some of the websites on multiple intelligences to gain additional insight in this area. I will be glad to communicate with you further on MI assessments and their applications. Just let me know.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Understanding that students process information and retain it differently, helps you to plan lessons, and lab time so that all these areas are used. In careful observation of how the students act, or react to different activities, you can hone your activities so that they best serve your students needs.

almost always try to identify the different types of intelligence of each student in the class, there are methods we have learned in this course, then try to integrate and use them for the purpose of the class that is They learn.

In some ways, one may be more cautious in his or her approach to assembling groups. Clumping too many of the "same type of learner" may produce a negative effect. I have found suprises in leadership qualities by mixing groups.

Joseph,
You make a good point. Grouping needs to be done so there is variety to the different learners. This way everyone benefits from working together in the groups.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

This makes it exciting to teach; especially when I teach the same course over and over again; it keeps me on my toes.

I do not think that thinking about 4 different intelligence as I am teaching helps my teaching style; it would make me worry more.

Teaching in a dual emphasis curriculum on acquisition of knowledge and repetition of skills in a lab environment allows for greater opportunities to target individual student's preferences for processing information. Lecture formats allow for options such as handouts, powerpoints, group work, and whiteboards. Lab time allows for kinesthetic approaches as well as visual and interpersonal. The challenge involves making sure there is enough variety of delivery so that all student preferences are target in as equal a fashion as possible.

It is important for us to nurture and enhance the student's learning experience.

Diane,
Not following your statement. Will you expand on this so I can get a better understanding. Thanks.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

David,
This is balanced education delivery. I know your students are going to benefit from your planning and delivery efforts.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Christine,
What are some ways you do this for your students? Thanks for sharing with us.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I will keep a pulse on the class trying different methods to ensure my studetns are recieving the information being delivered.This has reminded me that It's really important to get to know my students in each clas within the first week. I'm able to give a variety of lecture, demonstration, video and a big question and answer period knowing now that this is whats working.

Cynthia,
Good balanced approach to instruction. These strategies will help to keep your students engaged throughout each class session.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

by using different types of learning methods it will keep all students involved

First, time permitting, I would like to administer an assessment in the form of a pre-test in order to gauge how students learn best the tailor delivery to the majority yet not leaving out those that learn in different ways. Drawing from personal experience, the key is a variety of delivery methods. One of my most memorable college courses dealt in all realms; lecture, drawings, textbooks/notes, experiments, problem solving, group projects, field trips and the instructor had a personality most students liked. An experience worth remembering and worth attempting to replicate.

Understanding the different intelligences and applying that knowledge into one's lectures and projects will encourage the students to express themselves in the way that makes sense to them.

Sign In to comment