Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

An appreciation for and an understanding of multiple intelligences help to make me a more effective instructor. In my instruction of Wine and Beverage, the deliberate effort to explore wine on multiple levels of learning will make for a better learning experience for the students and help them in transferring their new wine knowledge into long-term practical application. My class content has an opportunity to speak to many different methods of delivery. With my new understanding of multiple intelligences, I plan to incorporate more video and also more auditory methods of learning. This will compliment the already strong tactile component of the course.

It could be interesting and effective to have the students take a multiple intelligences assessment on their own time as homework. When they come back to class, the dominant intelligences of the class as a whole can be determined. If it is true that certain people gravitate towards certain careers and thus training paths, there's a good chance that the majority of learners fall into one or two, maybe even three of the seven types and most of the instruction would best be spent in those areas. (It would also be good to know who doesn't fall into the majority, so they can receive instruction in different modes.)

Kevin,
In my research efforts I have developed an assessment for identifying the three dominant intelligences of an individual. This assessment is based upon a data base of 50,000 assessment takers. In analyzing this data I have found what you have stated. Personalities and personal intelligences play a big part of career selection. This is why it is easier to develop instructional deliveries based upon student learning preferences because for the most part the students have selected their careers based upon their personalities and they don't even know it.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I try to change my delivery methods throughout a class. For example I may start out on on the dry erase board explaining a concept, then get a discussion going on that same subject. This sometimes leads to examples which are brought up on a computer.

While all this is happening I am listening and watching to see what is resonating with the class. At one point a lecture might get them engaged, then a discussion.

I find that switching from passive listening (lecture) to active participation (discussions) and mixing in the images and video keeps the class active, as well as giving them problems to solve in class keeps students engaged.

Very true. I try to tailor my lectures to facilitate the visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learners. It's not always easy though, especially for the kinesthetic learners. Skills lab is where the kinesthetic learners have a ball. I notice that the visual learners love to sit in the front.

I was first introduced to multiple inteligences with my son in his charter school. It was miraculous with his learning.
I now incorporate it into my classroom by making sure my class is a mixture of kinetic, auditory, and visual teaching methods. Which my RT students have a mixture of these learning styles.
For example,I may start with a power point lecture, then follow with an auditory lab of breath sounds and then end with a hands-on lab with stethoscopes in small groups. This mixture may be weighted in one area more then others but I try to do a mix every 3 hour class.

Kevin,
You are on the right track with this approach. Students like variety and change of pace and this is what you are offering. This way the different intelligences are being engaged by the students throughout the course session.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Patricia,
I like the way you bring variety to your students learning preferences. You are giving them a chance to work in their different intelligences which enhances their engagement and focus.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

When teaching multiple intelligences it is wise to use a combination of teaching methodologies due to the various types of learner. Some students learn by auditory; sound, others learn by written: notes on board and textbooks still other students learn by visual; what they see; power-point slides yet other students learn by kinesthetic; hands on.

I would try to group the students together by their preferred learning method to enhance that skill. I would also group them together in other methodologies that may not be their preference or strong suit to build upon that learning methodology.

This concept will help me better plan and provide guided learning for the students by incorporating a variety of teaching methods. Since students have many different needs, intelligence and learning styles, the delivery needs to be in multiple ways

Monica,
Variety and change of pace help to engage students so the more you can offer these opportunities the more cognitive acquisition there will be. You make good points about how it is can be done and I know this will be helpful to other instructors.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Thank you Dr. Meers. My experience as an instructor has taught me to be aware of the various methods to access the students. Due to the multiple intelligences I try to be fair by utilizing a combination of True/False questions, multiple choice, as well as essay questions when creating exams etc. I also consider verbal assessments when factoring in the students overall progress in the class.

Monica,
This is a balanced approach to instruction that is valuable to the learning of your students. They get to use their intelligences and learning preferences as they progress through the content. This gives them varied learning opportunities that help to keep them engaged.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

This will drive me to try to present problems that can be learned or retained in many different ways. I recognize that I am a Logical/Mathematical thinker and must adapt my style so that all thinkers can comprehend and retain the concepts that I want them to learn. This understanding will force me to try to provide multiple examples of the same concept designed to connect with the different strengths of different intelligence types.

Based on this module teaching multiple intelligences requires the instructor to be creative in the delivery of new material by using judicious review. This process helps the students build upon previous class content. Judicious review occurs when the instructor repeatedly uses the materials as learning steps for the students. Its similar to scaffolding which is an aid to help the students complete a task; for example a structured outline.

Monica,
Good example of how to build a curriculum that is customized to the different learning preferences of the students. You have a plan that targets learning in a variety of ways and that will keep the students engaged.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Thank you Dr. Meers. Keeping the students engaged increases their motivation and maintains student retention.

Monica,
Yes it sure does not to mention it helps to keep us excited about being able to teach something we love and are passionate about and impact the lives of our students.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Understanding of multiple intelligences means that I need to include a variety in my presentation of lesson material to pertain to the different learning styles.
I try to make sure that my lessons include a lecture, an activity, and a reading assignment.

the rationale here is that there is opportunity for students with different learning styles to assimilate the materials. Some sit and listen others take notes or tape record the content and others learn by asking there own brand of qquestions that helps them learn

Sign In to comment